I finally finished my mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
Well, here it is. My hole drilling is better than my router "engraving", but what the heck.

I'm hoping this will help with the doughballs better than the stainless spoon that I have been using.

Paddle1.jpg

Paddle2.jpg

Paddle3.jpg

By the way, what wood did you make it out of? Red oak?

If oak, keep in mind that the first few times you use it, splinters will form and you'll have to re-sand it a few times. Not a big deal... But just to keep it in mind to avoid splinters in your hand (ask me how I know).

Hey thanks for the idea on the wood burning. I've done some signs in the past and used ink for the lettering, but I knew I didn't want to do that. I never thought about burning it.

Thanks for the heads up on the need for re-sanding. It is made out of quarter sawn white oak.

I made mine out of a branch of white oak that fell in my back yard. Nowhere near as nice but it does the job. No holes so it takes some time to break up the doughballs.

I hope that you are not really using lead to brew your gold. ;)

Nice mash paddle! Too nice to use, put it on display.:ban:

If that doesn't break up the dough balls fast enough use a big wire whisk. It makes short work of them. :rockin:

Great looking implement there! You could always try laser etching the logo/name of your 'brewery'. Mine came out awesomely.

Nice work. I'm starting mine this week. Going with a freehand desig .

Very nice. Reminds me of the paddle that sat in the principal's office in middle school....ask me how I know.

I've seen oak blacken when it gets wet and then dries. You may want to consider sealing it with something like a food-safe mineral oil. Not sure of its heat-resistance qualities, but it is at the top of the list of sealers for food-contact wooden utensils.

Thanks gang. I had considered using mineral oil on it like I use on my cutting boards and such, but I didn't want to risk any type of oil contamination messing with head retention. White oak is one of the better moisture resistant woods so I think I'm just going to go with it and let it age however it sees fit.

That's an awesome paddle! I've been wanting to make one from maple. Now I think I'll make it and post it when I'm done!

Great job :mug:

Looks great! Is it recommended to seal a wooden mash paddle with anything?

No.

I've seen oak blacken when it gets wet and then dries. You may want to consider sealing it with something like a food-safe mineral oil. Not sure of its heat-resistance qualities, but it is at the top of the list of sealers for food-contact wooden utensils.

DO NOT do this. Mash paddles should be left untreated. The oil will get into the mash.

I didn't put anything on my paddle, I don't want any oil or other stuff in my beer. The oil will kill any head on your beer too. I just rinse it off. Mine looks like beer stained wood. It is not black.

I also have a whisk. It cuts through dough balls very nicely. I don't use my paddle much since I got the whisk.

I have a very similar paddle made of white oak with no finish. Mine just has a little bit more of a random hole pattern. it's been working great for me for years.

Looks great, I found on mine that the hardest part was getting the holes drilled evenly. Check it out, I got the idea from Etsy.

IMG_0749.jpg

Back