I doughed in at the wrong temperature.. Did i mess up my mash completely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT.

I brewed a stout yesterday and everything was going great. I warmed my strike water to 68C and started doughing in. around 1/3 of the way through the malt, I realized that my temperature should have been higher (76C to be exact). So i turned up the heat and within 4-5 minutes I was at the 76C and i doughed in the remaining 2/3 of grain, which brought things down to around 68C, where I mashed for 60 mins. Now my question is.. Will the beer be ruined/undrinkable/too thin (because of the time spent at what i will assume is sub-68C since the grain lowers the temperature of the strike water), or is this a RDWHAHB scenario? I tasted the wort and it was great. The recipe is 19L, 5.5 kg of grain.

Thank you for sharing your advice/experience in advance.

68C is even a bit on the high side for a mash, favoring alpha amylase which should give you a fuller bodied beer in the end.

Enzymes don't denature immediately, even at higher temperatures, so you'll be fine. It takes time for these reactions to happen.

68C is even a bit on the high side for a mash, favoring alpha amylase which should give you a fuller bodied beer in the end.

Enzymes don't denature immediately, even at higher temperatures, so you'll be fine. It takes time for these reactions to happen.

Thanks for the reply. I mashed at 68 because i also used 5% sugar in the recipe which should thin out the body a bit.

I think that I see that you are confused temperatures. You probably need the strike water at 76c so that when doughed in, the mash temperature would be 68c.

Since you did not add all the grain you probably would not notice any difference. The first third may have been at a temperature that would produce a thinner beer, but the rest at the proper temperature and the short time at the lower temperature should result in little difference, probably unnoticeable.

I think that I see that you are confused temperatures. You probably need the strike water at 76c so that when doughed in, the mash temperature would be 68c.

Since you did not add all the grain you probably would not notice any difference. The first third may have been at a temperature that would produce a thinner beer, but the rest at the proper temperature and the short time at the lower temperature should result in little difference, probably unnoticeable.
Thanks for your answer :). I think I worded my post badly. I meant that I accidentally mashed in at 68 instead of 76, when I really should have mashed in at 76 to reach 68. I have been brewing AG for 5+ years so I'm well versed with the mashing process itself, but I never pulled this stunt [emoji23] My thought in waiting to dough in the last 2/3rds of the malt was exactly, as you mentioned, that I hoped it would overshadow the "thinner" 1/3. I'm crossing my fingers!

Back