I bought 4 lbs of crystal 120 by mistake. What can I do with it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christoff

Reaction score
I bought the wrong malt and now I have about 4 lbs of crystal malt 120 taking up space in my bins. I’ve been slowly picking away at it but it’s getting to a point I need to use it or toss it. Anyone have a decent recipe (or two) that will use up a good chunk of this? I’d hate to see it go to waste.

It’s crushed. I vacuum packed it but it keeps losing the vacuum so it’s not totally airtight. I think I bought it in August. I’ve read crushed is really only good for 6-8 months. It’s going to start getting hot in my shop in a few months too

@Protos would make a marzen!
A Pilsner, you were going to say? 🤣

If you need to use up a surplus of Dark Crystal, the quickest way to do that is to brew a Baltic Porter or two.
Baltic Porters (I mean the real Baltic Porters from Poland or Finland, and not the modern craftsy-artsy-fancy emasculated interpretations) use Dark Crystal up to 24% of their grist, 12% being a firm standard. Last winter I recreated a historical Polish recipe with 34% of Dark Crystal and was amazed by the results. Also, the real Baltic Porters are very strong, at least 9%ABV, so you'll spend A LOT of Dark Crystal for a batch.
Do yourself a favour, brew a real Baltic Porter. It needs at least half a year maturing time (and even better, a year), so it won't mess with the beers you currently have in line.

The recipes that use a lot of caramel malt — English styles, Baltic porters, CA Common — are generally better with English crystal anyhow.
For Baltic Porters, Crystals of any origin other than English are preferred. The very reason for this style to emerge in the 19th century was unaccessibility of any English goods, English Porters included, in Continental Europe during the Napoleonic wars.

Last edited:
For Baltic Porters, Crystals of any origin other than English are preferred. The very reason for this style to emerge in the 19th century was unaccessibility of any English goods, English Porters included, in Continental Europe during the Napoleonic wars.
Then use German caramel (though I'd still vote in favor of "better tasting" over "more authentic"). American C120 is tasteless in comparison. Though I suppose if you're trying to use it up...

For my Baltic Porters, I procured a rare Polish Dark Crystal malt, just for authenticity.
It's not as flavourful and aromatic as English or even German, but at that high percentage as it's used in real Baltic Porters (and I use it in nothing else) you don't need your Dark Crystal to be too much flavourful, so I'm very happy with it.

I have no idea on how American Dark Crystals taste but I may guess they aren't much worse than Polish.

And for a recipe for the OP, I may suggest a good, close-to-authentic and easy-to-brew one from Viking Malt. I bottled it recently, it tasted great even upon bottling, and in a year from now it would taste like nectar.
You may swap the Crystal EBC600+Chocolate combo of the recipe for the full 18% of your C120, and have a great beer.

And for a recipe for the OP, I may suggest a good, close-to-authentic and easy-to-brew one from Viking Malt. I bottled it recently, it tasted great even upon bottling, and in a year from now it would taste like nectar.
You may swap the Crystal EBC600+Chocolate combo of the recipe for the full 18% of your C120, and have a great beer.
Thank you! I enjoy experimenting this is great.

I use Caraaroma (I think it's a tad darker than C120, though) at about 7% in my porters, and I add it to my ambers to get to the desired color (30 EBC). I'm pretty happy with the results.

Back