I am dumb....Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
Ok, I have done maybe the dumbest thing I have ever done as a homebrewer to date. In one of my starter I took the tin foil I had on top and decided to put a sanitized rubber stopper with an airlock on it. Why? I don't know. I have always used tin foil on top and have never had a problem. As I was pushing down I maybe pushed a little too hard and "oh crap" I pushed it right into the growler and into my starter.

Now being sanitized, do you think I will be ok? I have four, 1 1/2 Liter starters and two, 2 liter starter going right now. If you think it is not ok to use, should I divy up some of the other starters. The 1 1/2 starters are for 2 Oktoberfests adn the 2 liter starters are for 2 Pilsners. Not sure what to do right now. This has been a disaster so far.

Was it sanitized RIGHT before doing this? If so then yeah, it'll be ok. If not, then it will probably/maybe be ok anyways.

And for the record, you don't want to use an airlock on a starter, you want good oxygen exchange. Sanitized foil or a foam stopper are best.

I know.. Why I did it I do not know. Curiosity killed the cat right. I had just pulled it out of a sanitized bucket so I am not too worried. I just want to hear other opinions on my stupidity.

Well, you know what they say... "Sheit happens"... Since it was fresh from being submerged in sanitizer (StarSan I assume, or other no-rinse sanitizer) you should be fine... Take it as a lesson learned. It might be 'interesting' when it comes time to get the stopper out of the growler. Hopefully, it's not an expensive growler, so not much of a loss if you need to toss it out.

I've also only used sanitizer foil on my starters. Mostly because the openings have simply been too large to fit with a bung, and I didn't want to drill them out to install one. I have a 2L flask now and am about to order a stir plate. I should be able to use that combination to make the starters for 5 gallon batches most of the time. I do have a barley wine on my 'to brew' list that might need two starters done that way in order to get enough yeast to pitch. I might get a second flask before brewing that one, so that I can get one starter made/done, then make a second with another batch of yeast. From what I recall, I should get more yeast cells that way. :ban: I might hit it with some pure O2 before starting the stir plate too... I'll need a LOT of happy yeast for that brew.

I have a rubber plug in one of my carboys and it will be there until it breaks, which I hope is not in my lifetime. Sure I suppose I could screw around with it for an hour trying to get it out (I know the responses would be coming) but it doesnt bother me.

First time brewer, did not record hygro reading. When will know that secondary fermentation has completed and it is safe to bottle?

Just check the hydro reading, record it down and then check it in a few days. If it is the same reading then you should be ok to bottle. The finish hydro reading should be near your final gravity number. If not, you may have a stuck fermentation.

Why wait a month? I fail to understand this. Take a reading today, wait 3 days and take one more. If the FG is within .001, cold crash it and then bottle. I think there will be ZERO infection from your minor mistake.

One thing I have found is that brewing beer is VERY forgiving. MANY times have I was sure I royally messed it all up. Find out later that it is just fine! I have only had to throw out 2 batches that were massive fails.

Didn't you just put this in the primary yesterday? In A rush? Lol

Time improves all things, especially beer

Back