I am actually going to purchase a yeast strain English Strain Reccomendations/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a pretty nice stash of yeast available for my brewing:

Pacman
WLP001
WLP500
Bells Yeast
WLP029
Hoeegarden

I think WLP001, Pacman and Bells are pretty interchangeable as far as fermentation characteristics and flavor profile are concerned. My other strains are specialty strains with unique flavors and capabilities. I have come to crave an English strain to add to my arsenal. I want to make IPA's, Pale Ale's Etc...sometimes with a little ester profile from english yeast. I am a white labs fan, so here is the strains I am considering:

WLP002 English Ale Yeast ( worried about underattenution with this strain)
WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast (this looks to be the leader, with high attenuation and high floc)
WLP005 Brittish Ale
WLP006 Bedford Brittish

I would also like other reccomendation for a strain, I am primarily trying to create more "intersting" hoppy/big beers with this strain.

thx!

007/S-04 is a beast!

That is kind of what I thought......

I have used nottingham dry yeast many times...I am hoping WLP007 is not even close to that...notty is so neutral.

Also, do you think if I mashed high enough I could make a propper bitter with this strain or is it just too attenuative?

I think mashing high enough would give you a nice bitter, if it still feels "thin" when you're done you can always add maltodextrine before bottling/kegging until you get the right mash temp.

WLP007 is my favorite ale yeast. I use it in everything. It gets my vote for sure.

Finishes out dry, floccs out wonderfully, somewhat estery profile without dominating the beer... love it.

I adore WLP002... I love its flocculation. I can make a 1.060 beer and still have it kegged and carbed 8-10 days after brewing. Just make sure to ramp up your temps as fermentation slows to clean up the diacetyl.

It leaves a tad extra sweetness to your beers which I enjoy, but for some styles I'll counter the sweetness by either uping the bitterness, or adding 3-5% table sugar.

Its malty, estery, ALEish flavors and aromas are incredible. People who drink these beers are blasted away by how flavorful they are. And don't think that this yeast is only for malty styles - it makes great hoppy beers too if you enjoy malty flavors alongside the hops.

This yeast really takes your grain bill and amps up all the malt flavors - every little grain addition you put in your wort is present in the final product.

I adore WLP002... I love its flocculation. I can make a 1.060 beer and still have it kegged and carbed 8-10 days after brewing. Just make sure to ramp up your temps as fermentation slows to clean up the diacetyl.

It leaves a tad extra sweetness to your beers which I enjoy, but for some styles I'll counter the sweetness by either uping the bitterness, or adding 3-5% table sugar.

Its malty, estery, ALEish flavors and aromas are incredible. People who drink these beers are blasted away by how flavorful they are. And don't think that this yeast is only for malty styles - it makes great hoppy beers too if you enjoy malty flavors alongside the hops.

This yeast really takes your grain bill and amps up all the malt flavors - every little grain addition you put in your wort is present in the final product.

If you manipulate your mash conditions can you get WLP002 to take a 1.065 IPA down to 1.015 or lower without adding sugar?

I bet it's possible but could take some finesse. You'd probably have to mash belgian style - 149* for 60 minutes, then up to 152-154 for 15min. Maybe even do 149 for 30min, then 152 for 20, then back down to 149 for 15. The raise and lower would help to gelatinize all the starch and maximally utilize all your enzymes.

I just made a brown ale with a fair bit of specialty grains that went from 1.060 to 1.020 in six days or less. Mashed at 155 for an hour, and this beer had 12.3% total specialty grains - 9.7% crystal 80, 2.4% chocolate, .2% black. So I don't think it would be a huge stretch

But is there any reason you're opposed to adding a touch of sugar? The above-mentioned mash schedule, plus 3% sugar would probably get your FG no problem.

I bet it's possible but could take some finesse. You'd probably have to mash belgian style - 149* for 60 minutes, then up to 152-154 for 15min. Maybe even do 149 for 30min, then 152 for 20, then back down to 149 for 15. The raise and lower would help to gelatinize all the starch and maximally utilize all your enzymes.

I just made a brown ale with a fair bit of specialty grains that went from 1.060 to 1.020 in six days or less. Mashed at 155 for an hour, and this beer had 12.3% total specialty grains - 9.7% crystal 80, 2.4% chocolate, .2% black. So I don't think it would be a huge stretch

But is there any reason you're opposed to adding a touch of sugar? The above-mentioned mash schedule, plus 3% sugar would probably get your FG no problem.

I have no issues adding sugar, I am just trying to get a feel for the performance of the yeast. I actually prefer my IPA's to have that crisp dryness that comes from sugar.

isn't wyeast putting out two PC english strains this quarter?

yep, and WY1469 is supposed to be great. I've got a pale ale going with it right now to test it out but if it even half lives up to the hype, it's worth trying.

I also really like wlp005 for british ales, but it is finicky. I'm hoping the 1469 makes good beer so I can use it instead of wlp005 to simplify fermentation procedures.

Sure can, got a 12.5 gallon brewpot. The problem would be lifting that sucker off the burner!

That's kinda small for getting 10 gallons post ferment. I use a 15 gallon pot to make double sized batches and even that is kinda tight. I figure 14-15 gallons pre boil = 12 gallons post boil = 11 gallons in the fermenter = 2 x 5 gallons in kegs.

I use a lot of 002, but I wouldn't like to try an IPA with it. Makes a great bitter though.
I've used 007 a few times, and it works well in an IPA.
I've never tried 005 or 006
My favorite for an IPA using white labs is 023, or if you want to switch to wyeast, the 1028. I'm not a fan of the white labs 013 (which is supposedly the same yeast as the wy1028).

-a.

I've had WLP002 Attenuate around 78-79% mashing at 152, that was with the equivalent of pitching two vials with plenty of oxygen and ramping the temp at the end of fermentation.

If you manipulate your mash conditions can you get WLP002 to take a 1.065 IPA down to 1.015 or lower without adding sugar?

Yes. I, accidentally, mashed at 144F and had to do a decoction to raise it up to 151F. This took about 15 minutes before reaching 151F and then resting for another 45 minutes. I got 77% attenuation with it and the grain bill was 8% crystal malts.

It will sure take some getting used to using a new strain. I am used to pacman, and that yeast seems impervious to mash temp variations...it just attenuates crazily, for beers up to an OG up to about 1.095 if pitched properly, I have never had one finish over 1.016...and that was a 1.095 imperial stout mashed at 156!

Pacman is great for dry hoppy beers...not so much malty or balanced! This is a reason I want an english strain in house.

Don't know the number off hand, but I love the WL London ale yeast. The description they give of a soft bread like flavor is quite appropriate. I use it in my ESB and it is my finest beer. A hint of fruity on the nose but mostly soft malty flavors.

I just ordered WLP007! I am using it on a Pale ale and Amber ale next week...both completely americanized recipes except with english yeast. I really love the neutral west coast style yeast but I think it is time to add some esters to the party!

I just ordered WLP007! I am using it on a Pale ale and Amber ale next week...both completely americanized recipes except with english yeast. I really love the neutral west coast style yeast but I think it is time to add some esters to the party!

FYI: WLP007 is what Stone uses in most all their beers. I've done clone brews of Arrogant Bastard and Levitation with 007 and it they compare very well to the commercial versions.

I believe Magic Hat also uses the 007 in many of their beer but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

FYI: WLP007 is what Stone uses in most all their beers. I've done clone brews of Arrogant Bastard and Levitation with 007 and it they compare very well to the commercial versions.

I believe Magic Hat also uses the 007 in many of their beer but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

That is awesome. My AB clones are good, but I used pacman and something is missing. I bet WLP007 is going to help me out a bit there.

I am also thinking WLP007 would make an awesome robust porter which I just may have to do soon.

WLP007 is what Stone uses in most all their beers.

Source on this? BYO claims they use WLP002, which is obviously not the case, but I have heard from multiple sources that they use an english strain. But then I've heard others say they've heard directly from the brewery that their house strain is closer to WLP001.

On Can You Brew It, they use 007 to clone Stone Beers. It may not be exactly what they use, but apparently it's close enough because they've pronounced the results cloned (except for Arrogant Bastard, which they got virtually no help on).

On Can You Brew It, they use 007 to clone Stone Beers. It may not be exactly what they use, but apparently it's close enough because they've pronounced the results cloned (except for Arrogant Bastard, which they got virtually no help on).

That is my source as well. They interview the brewer and while he does not come out and say 007 he give enough hints. Then then make the beers and taste them blind side by side. I've also done side by side blind tastings with these recipes and the 007 yeast is spot on with Stone beers.

Can You Brew It is a great show. You should download and listen. All the recipes are here on HBT https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-database-178064/ But the shows give you much more insight with the brewers thinking.

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but for english ales I love Burton Ale (WLP023) Also known as wyeast Thames Valley. The stone fruit flavors you get out of it are awesome.

i'm fermenting a beer with wlp002 right now.
and ESB.

the starter i made smelled sweet and fruity.

2 litres of starter decnated and pitched at 2am, 61*F.
woke up at 6:45am for work and ferment was going strong.

i'm fermenting a beer with wlp002 right now.
an ESB.

the starter i made smelled sweet and fruity.

2 litres of starter decnated and pitched at 2am, 61*F.
woke up at 6:45am for work and ferment was going strong.

wow.
today is the end of the fourth day.
just took a reading.
went from 1.064 to 1.013 and it's brilliantly clear.

actually attenuated more than i wanted it to.
i might wash this yeast for atleast a few brews and see what all it will do...

Just my $0.02, but I tried most of the wyeast brit yeasts and WLP 002/005, and I finally settled on wy 1275 Thames Valley. I used in on a couple ESB's that I mashed at 155 and it left plenty of goodness, and it's always rocking in my IPA. I haven't used it in a brown, but I imagine that an appropriate combo of specialty malts and temp could make it great. The one thing that I will say is that it's a bit more difficult to keep it from drying out beers and it's a son of a gun to try to get them crystal clear, but overall I think it's the most versatile and I really like it.

just took a sample from an APA that I brewed up (OG = 1.050) with the WLP007 strain. The brew has been in primary for two weeks and is quite clear. The yeast dropped quickly and I ended up at 1.010 depsite a 155 degree mash temp......this yeast is a good attenuator.

What struck me about my fermenter sample, was the "softness" of the bitterness and the increased accentuiation of the malts. WLP001 tends to produce sharply bittered and hoppy beers...WLP007 appears to help with balance a little? I didn't get any fruit esters, but of course I fermented at 68 and pitched a ton of yeast so I wasn't expecting a ton.

I am encouraged and considering it for my next IPA.......american IPA with english yeast? Blasphemy!

I have used wlp007 for barleywine several times and in porters and stouts, love it! tried it once in a mild that went above 4% due to the high attenuation when supposed to be 3.5% and while good was a bit too dry. I used the mild to give a yeast cake for the barleywine but would probably do a porter again like this as it worked out better before. I have read that this is similar/same as 002 for taste etc but attenuates further so my plan is to use both for a while this year as I seem to be in a british mood recently and see which will win out. agree it give a "softness" and accentuates the malts, which is where I prefer. have not used 002 yet

edit
I don't really care for 002 or 007 (1968 and S-04, at least).
I know s-04 is a substrain from the witbred line but I actually dislike the taste profile and do not feel s-04 is anything like 007 at all. not sure if it is me but have tried both several times and I can immediately tell s-04 in a beer. the taste is much sharper.

WLP002 is my go-to yeast for almost everything. It helps provide the little bit of balance to keep my IPAs and Pales from being too dry or sharp. Love it.

i'm using wlp002 now, last batch i repitched 150ml of washed yeast into ~5.75g of imperial IPA.
pilsner malt and 1.5lbs of amber/brown malt (toasted by me in the oven).

og was 1.080 and i just checked the gravity today. it's down to 1.010
wanted to mash at 156 but it was pretty cold that day and the mash temp was 152.

once again much more attenuation than i expected.
wanted the finishing gravity to be around 1.018
oh well. it tastes real clean.
been in primary for 9 days right now.

my buddy has a 10 gallon system, we did one of jamil's stouts. og was 1.061, both fermenters had 6 gallons in them. i pitched 100ml of washed wlp002 (2nd generation) and he pitched some washed wlp001.
i talked to him after the beer had been in primary about 8-10 days and he said both beers were down to 1.020

Back