I am a brewing god?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildingmotive

Reaction score
So...either I broke physics or something's wrong. Just did a northern brewer mash that called for an OG of 1.052. I hit a measured OG of 1.078 with 5.5 gallons. How is that possible?

That makes more sense than divine brewinvention. The sample I took was at the end. I had to tip the boiler to get it.

Looks like I may just be a regular guy then, and not a god.

Sorry, dude. It's never good to find out you are not a god. I had that let down years ago.

I believe you are a god, and I wish I believed in you. Btw, I'd take another sample....actually I wouldn't....but you could take another now that things must have settled.

Yeah,only what's dissolved in the wort effects gravity. If you topped off to recipe volume in the fermenter,did you stir really well to mix wort & top off? That can give a false reading. I did all that on my latest two batches of IPA. The recipes were PM,& identical,save for the hop schedule. The first one clocked in @ OG1.061. Cool,as I expected. The second one came in @ OG1.074! I measured it some four times & it came out the same. My efficiency must've been way better on the second one. The mash temp got down to 148-9F while I stirred the mash. Wrapped it up tightly in my winter hunting coat & the temp went up to 156F over the 1 hour mash. That's about the only difference I can faccount for. Crush was the same & Amount of grains. Same 1lb of demerara sugar & 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME at flame out?...

Yeah,only what's dissolved in the wort effects gravity. If you topped off to recipe volume in the fermenter,did you stir really well to mix wort & top off? That can give a false reading. I did all that on my latest two batches of IPA. The recipes were PM,& identical,save for the hop schedule. The first one clocked in @ OG1.061. Cool,as I expected. The second one came in @ OG1.074! I measured it some four times & it came out the same. My efficiency must've been way better on the second one. The mash temp got down to 148-9F while I stirred the mash. Wrapped it up tightly in my winter hunting coat & the temp went up to 156F over the 1 hour mash. That's about the only difference I can faccount for. Crush was the same & Amount of grains. Same 1lb of demerara sugar & 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME at flame out?...

Sorry... should have mentioned that the advice I got was to stir the heck out of the brew kettle before taking the sample. That simple solution has resulted in my getting better results.

I stir the wort before taking a sample. Used to get higher readings before the boil... was weird. It was explained that stratification and other solids in the sample would throw my reading off.

Back