Hyrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravegti

Reaction score
I'm making my second batch ever, a AHS clone of Full Sail Pale Ale. I just finished the boil and cooled down to 80 degrees, poured into my fermenter, topped off to 5.25 gallons and took the first hydrometer reading. The recipe says it should be at 1.042, but its at 1.065! What should I do??

Since you topped up I assume it's an extract or partial mash recipe. The most common cause of an incorrect OG with those types of kits is that your wort was not completely mixed. Take the kit supplied OG reading as being correct and just make sure you mix much more thoroughly next time. :mug:

Since you topped up I assume it's an extract or partial mash recipe. The most common cause of an incorrect OG with those types of kits is that your wort was not completely mixed. Take the kit supplied OG reading as being correct and just make sure you mix much more thoroughly next time. :mug:

+1...With extract you pretty much get what you should no matter what the hydro says.

Saying the wort was not completely mixed, where do you think I went wrong? I followed the directions best I could and thought I had it down. Dissolving the pale into the boil? Was my rolling boil for 60 minutes not rolling enough maybe? My first batch was spot on when taking readings and the process this time around was the exact same, but I'm so far off on the hydro.

Is there anything I should look for in the coming days? Would this cause a more vigorous fermentation, should I remove the 3-piece airlock and move to a blow off?

Thanks for any advice!

Right before I add the extract I take the brew pot off the heat. Add the extract and stir like a crazy person. I'm not sure if you did that or not, but it is good practice for future brews. As far as keeping an eye out for anything abnormal... That is just about the only thing you can do, keep an eye out. If your airlock fills with beer or foam you can move to a blowoff valve, until then I would just keep an eye on it. Don't want to mess with the yeast while they do their magic.

The incomplete mixture would have been when you topped up to 5.25 gallons. It's not really a problem for your beer, as it ferments it will mix fine - it's only a problem when it comes to getting an accurate hydrometer reading.

It's been just about 24 hours since pitching yeast and there is no activity visible at all. Nothing from the airlock, which I know doesn't mean anything, but it is in a plastic better bottle, so I can see that there is no krausen and I don't see anything churning in there. Suggestions? Or am I just worrying too much?

It's been just about 24 hours since pitching yeast and there is no activity visible at all. Nothing from the airlock, which I know doesn't mean anything, but it is in a plastic better bottle, so I can see that there is no krausen and I don't see anything churning in there. Suggestions? Or am I just worrying too much?

What yeast are you using? If it's liquid, did you make a starter? What temperature was the wort when you added the yeast?
(But even so, my vote is you're worrying too much- it might take 3 days before you see signs of active fermentation, if you used liquid yeast without a starter).

It is liquid. I didn't make a starter and the wort was at 70 degrees when I pitched.

Well, post back in 72 hours, if it's still not fermenting........................:D

It should be going along nicely within three days or so. Don't worry!

+1 on this. Next time just make sure you stir a bunch or shake it up to aerate before pitching.

Sometimes it does take a day or two to get going. I have had it take a few hours and as much as 3 days. You should be fine.

Now I see a thin white line forming around the top edge of the wort so it looks like its just beginning to start fermenting, I'll check again in the morning.

I'm sure it was aerated enough, before and after pitching. Especially after as I shook the hell out of it for about 4 minutes.

Just newb worries I guess. Thanks so much for all the help! I love this site and it makes the hobby much more fun as well!

Now I see a thin white line forming around the top edge of the wort so it looks like its just beginning to start fermenting, I'll check again in the morning.

I bet it's bubbling by tomorrow. Sounds like you're golden so far.

I woke up and checked first thing this morning - about 2 inches of krausen and the airlock bubbling once every two seconds! Woo!

Back