hydrometer trouble ,coopers real ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MACKYBHOY

Reaction score
hi people need some help ,,im a first time brewer and stumbled accross a few problems with my coopers micro brew kit ,i got some helpfull tips anf my problems have been sorted out ,but iv sprung a new one ,,ha ha ,,my brew has been sitting for 2 and a half weeks now , and my hydrometer reading is stuck at 1.015 and not dropping to under 1.010 as it says in the coopers handbook ,,the ale smells fine but the the ale tastes a little bitter , so my question is will it be ok to bottle the ale if the gravity reading is still the same on the 3 week mark ???? and will that bitter taste calm down a bit once bottled ??? ,,any help would be great guys ,,by the way loving this wee homebrewtalk forum ,great to see the differnt ways of brewing ,its giving me some good ideas for future brews ,,,peace out people :mug:

Yeah, if the gravity reading is the same at 2 1/2 and 3 weeks, it's stopped fermenting, assuming your temperature stayed warm enough. I've never gotten a Coopers kit as low as the directions say, so I wouldn't worry about the handbook.

The Real Ale is somewhat bitter, especially for a kit, but it does mellow with time in the bottle.

Hi

Yea i had the same problem with a coopers brew a different kit but same problem and mine finished at FG 1014 it never fermented any furder. So i left it for a 3 or 4 days to make sure the reading wouldn drop anymore and all bubbling had stopped in the airlock.
So i bulked primed and then bottled left for 3 or 4 weeks and the beer tasted great.

What was you OG reading??

,i think ill do the same as yourself and leave it in the bottle for 3/4 weeks ,sounds good ,,,my og was just over 1040,,so it has dropped in fermenting ,,thanks for the reply mate ,,cheers

I just started one of these Real Ale's yesterday. It also didn't give me the SG that the instructions stated. I think the reading was just around 1.030 after I added the Dextrose. I ended up adding a bit more Dextrose to get up to 1.042. I created a starter with the yeast and then pitched. It was bubbleing slowly within 4 hours, and this morning had picked up the pace.

I hope this doesn't turn out too bitter.

Anything below 1.020, especially where extract batches are concerned are fine. You don't need to worry. Many batches finish at 1.020 so you are good. Yeast can't read, so they may not know what your instructions say,, but they know how to do their job.

I just started one of these Real Ale's yesterday. It also didn't give me the SG that the instructions stated. I think the reading was just around 1.030 after I added the Dextrose. I ended up adding a bit more Dextrose to get up to 1.042. I created a starter with the yeast and then pitched. It was bubbleing slowly within 4 hours, and this morning had picked up the pace.

I hope this doesn't turn out too bitter.
same here mate my first reading before pitching my yeast read just over 1040 ,,but its dropped to 1015 and it still tastes a little bitter ,but ive been advised after 3 weeks in the fermenter and 2 / 3 weeks bottled the harshness should calm down ,,thanks for the reply mate ,,cheers

Anything below 1.020, especially where extract batches are concerned are fine. You don't need to worry. Many batches finish at 1.020 so you are good. Yeast can't read, so they may not know what your instructions say,, but they know how to do their job.
thanks for the reply mate ,,thats just the help i need ,cheers

My Coopers real ale has been stuck at 1020 for the last 7days...in fermenter for
21/2 weeks
I was going to dump tonight...
but I found this link......
tastes and smells okay.....should I bottle????

Thanks
Steve

Id say you would be fine to bottle but what was temp. the beer was fermenting at because if your beer dropped in temp. it might stall the fermention or slow it down. but as revvy says 1020 or below is ok with extract kits.
I would not dump it it will be ok

I had to work at it to get even the OS lager kit from Cooper's to go from 1.016 to an FG of 1.012. Wouldn't go any lower,even though I used the 1kg of brewer's sugar that came with it. It's 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrine.
They used to put 100% dextrose in the OS kits,but switched to Brewer's sugar. I attributed my results to that,over & above the dry ale yeast.

So What was the result of the Real Ale. Did it turn out ok, mine started at 1.043 and now is at 1.013 after 4 days I hope it drops a little more before I keg in 6 days.

If it's gone down from 1.043 to 1.016 in 4 days,give it 12 days,then check it again. My OS lager went from 1.048 to 1.012 in a week. I gave it 12 days to clean up & clear a bit more. 3 weeks in bottles,4 days in fridge was delicious. Just take that (OS lager/brewing sugar) & add 2oz of Willamette hops,& it'll be close to Sam Adam's Summer Ale.

I would wait longer if I could maybe 7 days but It is on tap for my Wife's Grad party in 9 days so I want to make sure it will carb. I know it is not enough time but that is my fault with my poor planing. I am glad it has done well so far but if it is not to my liking after the first pint on Friday I will not serve it. I am hoping for the best!

Back