Hydrometer Samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelou6

Reaction score
What do you guys do with the hydrometer samples? Throw it away and chalk it up to the price of making beer, or use a thief and return it back to the fermenter and risk contamination?

Drink it. It's a good way to follow how your beer is progressing.

Chad

I just throw the hydrometer in the carboy. It can be tricky seeing it through the dried krausen sometimes, but once you know your gear, you can read it. Just because I'm a sanitation freak/infection paranoid type.

+4, chug it. It's a great way to sneak a taste of your brew before it's finished.

mr x said:
I just throw the hydrometer in the carboy. It can be tricky seeing it through the dried krausen sometimes, but once you know your gear, you can read it. Just because I'm a sanitation freak/infection paranoid type.
That's a great idea! I have a few 1 gallon experimental batches that I've been trying to figure out how to take samples on. I didn't want to lose half of my batch though testing :D

Latest posts

Back