Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvp1

Reaction score
When your hydrometer readings stay consistent for a few days, that's a sign that fermentation is complete, right? So how do you take the reading -- is it OK to just pop open your primary and pull a sample? That's not bad for the beer?

newb questions abound!

Pretty much just as simple as you stated. Make sure whatever you use to pull the sample is sanitized and the rule of thumb is not to pour your sample back into the wort for risk of infection.

And no. It is not bad for the beer except with each SG reading taken a few ounces of beer is lost and will never be carbonated and drunk at it's fullest potential. What do they call that in war? ... Hmmm acceptable losses. Sad.

When your hydrometer readings stay consistent for a few days, that's a sign that fermentation is complete, right? So how do you take the reading -- is it OK to just pop open your primary and pull a sample? That's not bad for the beer?

newb questions abound!

yes, just dont leave it exposed for that long. generally the amount of co2 from the beer wont allow outside particles etc get in.

What do they call that in war? ... Hmmm acceptable losses.

Collateral Damage!

JVP, go get a turkey baster from Target/WalMart. They cost about $3-4. Before you take your sample from the beer/wort, just spray it inside and out with starsan or your favorite sanatizer, let the excess sanatizer drain/dry, then take your sample for the hydrometer reading. In order to avoid the "collateral damage," after I check my gravity, I then put my sample in a shotglass in the freezer for about 10 minutes and enjoy a cold wort sample shot. Sometimes the sample's almost as good as the finished beer!

Yep! Just sanitize your glass/baster. Don't open your lid on your fermentor until you've ready to do the sample. Then immediately put the lid back on (the less exposure to air the better). Then take your reading and disgard your sample. To be honest, I like to drink the sample. Obviously you need to take the taste with a grain of salt but you can usually get an idea of what it will be like. Better than throwing it out in my book!

Mark

I use a sanitized hydrometer in a sanitized thief, pull my sample , check it and return it.

Pulling the airlock of the carboy for that amount of time wont hurt anything.
Or just float a spare hydrometer in the carboy after the krausen stage and glance at it every time you walk by until it looks in the ballpark then take a real reading.

MarkIafrate said:
Yep! Just sanitize your glass/baster. Don't open your lid on your fermentor until you've ready to do the sample. Then immediately put the lid back on (the less exposure to air the better). Then take your reading and disgard your sample. To be honest, I like to drink the sample. Obviously you need to take the taste with a grain of salt but you can usually get an idea of what it will be like. Better than throwing it out in my book!

Mark

+1 I use the sample to taste as well, returning the sample to the fermenter just is one more chance of inviting infection into your beer

All went fine. Used a sanitized baster, filled the test jar, took my reading then took a swig. Not bad so far!

If you use a carboy, that is the best method. I use buckets and just take the gravity reading right in the bucket. Sanitize the hydrometer and there is not more risk of infection than using a baster, and no collateral damage. Course you don't get to taste!

If you use a carboy, that is the best method. I use buckets and just take the gravity reading right in the bucket. Sanitize the hydrometer and there is not more risk of infection than using a baster, and no collateral damage. Course you don't get to taste!

But there is the small risk you break your hydrometer and you ruin an entire batch.

But there is the small risk you break your hydrometer and you ruin an entire batch.

Yeah, I guess if you smack it against the side to get any remaining beer off. I really have never had a problem. A bucket has a pretty wide opening. You would have to be pretty drunk....OK, I see your point.

I don't bother with intermediate hydrometer readings. OG on brew day. 4 weeks at the appropriate temp followed by a SG on bottling day.

amandabab said:
I use a sanitized hydrometer in a sanitized thief, pull my sample , check it and return it.

Pulling the airlock of the carboy for that amount of time wont hurt anything.
Or just float a spare hydrometer in the carboy after the krausen stage and glance at it every time you walk by until it looks in the ballpark then take a real reading.

I use a wine thief also

If I sanitize my test jar, baster, and hydrometer, can I just pour it back in?

Isn't it tough to read the hydrometer that way though?

jvp1 said:
If I sanitize my test jar, baster, and hydrometer, can I just pour it back in?

you can, but is it worth risking 5 gallons to save a few ounces? I don't think it is.

This may be obvious, but you also want to make sure the readings are not only consistent, but also sufficiently close to you expected FG. Consistent hydro readings of say 1.030 probably indicate that something is awry and not time to bottle yet.

Back