Accurate OG readings with real fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Willoughby

Willoughbeast
Reaction score
So just kinda curious how you guys are getting accurate OG readings when using whole fruit. I'm estimating mine currently bc when suspensing whole fruit only diced the reading can't be accurate as the sugars are still trapped in the fruit right? Or am I missing something to the process? I'm still using my hydrometer before during and after fermentation but again the OG ik isn't accurate.

There is no way to measure sugar content while soaking whole or diced fruit to get an accurate reading for wine, cider, perry, etc, without expensive commercial equipment.

There is no way to measure sugar content while soaking whole or diced fruit to get an accurate reading for wine, cider, perry, etc, without expensive commercial equipment.
Ok so is there a good way to get a decent estimate or range of the OG. I used a document that lists ranges for fruit specific gravity but ik that also varies on amount of fruit used per gallon.

You can follow known recipes, but the amount of fermentables in the fruit depends on the soil, the average temp that year and the years before, the zone it's grown, etc... a million variables. Fruit Data: Yield, Sugar, Acidity, and Tannin - Hobby Homebrew
Cool thanks for the info. I was looking at a document identical to this for sure. So I've been doing a range for my abv then based off of how much sugar I know will yield alcohol with adding in the account of how much estimated sugar the fruit adds

Wouldn't smooshing the diced fruit into juice, and then using a refractometer work?
I actually tried for the first time fermenting the fruit diced for a week them squashing them while still in the mash bag and it was so much easier to process that way.

Here's my procedure:
  • I freeze my fruit, then thaw and mash. Freezing helps to break down the fruit.
  • Then I put it in a mesh bag and add to my fermentation bucket along with pectic enzyme and Kmeta. The pectic enzyme helps to break down the fruit and release the juices.
  • I wait 12-24 hrs, then squeeze the mesh bag and stir. Then I take my refractometer reading and add sugar as needed.
  • I leave the mesh bag with the fruit in the bucket until fermentation is almost finished.
Using this method, I think that I am getting a reasonably close estimate of the OG. This is probably much more accurate than using a fruit sugar content chart for the reasons @lumpher mentioned above.

For dried fruit, I would cut it into smaller pieces and soak it for a hour in warm water. Then proceed with the second step above.

Here's my procedure:
  • I freeze my fruit, then thaw and mash. Freezing helps to break down the fruit.
  • Then I put it in a mesh bag and add to my fermentation bucket along with pectic enzyme and Kmeta. The pectic enzyme helps to break down the fruit and release the juices.
  • I wait 12-24 hrs, then squeeze the mesh bag and stir. Then I take my refractometer reading and add sugar as needed.
  • I leave the mesh bag with the fruit in the bucket until fermentation is almost finished.
Using this method, I think that I am getting a reasonably close estimate of the OG. This is probably much more accurate than using a fruit sugar content chart for the reasons @lumpher mentioned above.

For dried fruit, I would cut it into smaller pieces and soak it for a hour in warm water. Then proceed with the second step above.
That's a good process for sure. I'm to lazy to put that much time into at the moment lol. When I get a little more serious after a couple of these large batches I'll try that process put for sure. I figured if I can use a 2 or 3 percent swing for my abv as an estimate then I'm good to go. At least for now lol

Back