Hybrid IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commonsenseman

Reaction score
Here's what I'm planning to make today. I'm fairly set on the hops, I may adjust the schedule a little though. The grain bill is a little bit of a hybrid, but hey you never know til you try it.

9lbs Pale Ale Malt 78.3%
1lb Victory Malt 8.7%
1lb Torrified Wheat 8.7%
.5lbs Crystal 60L 4.3%

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes, no sparge. 4 gallons post boil.

1oz Warrior @ 60
.5oz Chinook @ 30
.5oz Cascade @ 15
.5oz Chinook @ 5
.5oz Cascade @ Flame-out

O.G. 1.067
Using #1056

Thoughts or comments? Will the wheat be way out of place?

Looks solid to me, the wheat won't add much flavor, so no issue there. I might cut the Victory in half, and I'd certainly up the hops.

Thanks! I was pretty sure the wheat would be overpowered by the other grains. What is it about the victory that'd make you want to use less?

Silly me only bought 3oz of hops, may have to stop by the LHBS on the way home!

Why such a high mash temp?

Do you really NEED that much Wheat? I understand that Torrified Wheat imparts some flavor (toasted?), with emphasis on some. Basically, you'll get the head retention you're looking for with less than a pound.

Also, I've read that Willamette intensifies Cascade character. But you might wanna verify that on your own, if it even matters to you.

What is it about the victory that'd make you want to use less?

I like firmly hop leaning IPAs, victory could be nice to add some background toasty notes, but I think 1 lb would compete with the hops. It certainly won't be bad as is, just not my style in an IPA. Good luck brewing.

Thanks for the advice, that actually sounds perfect. I'm hoping for it to be more of a balanced IPA, with plenty of maltiness to compliment the hops. That's why I'm mashing fairly high & not adding a bunch more hops. It is actually coming in around 99IBU's according to my calculations, but I want some residual sugars to balance that.

Alright, it's chilling as I type. I ended up lowering the Wheat to 8oz, because as MONKandTUCK pointed out, it just isn't necessary. I still haven't decided if I'll dry hop it, I'm trying to keep it well-balanced so I may not.

Back