Hybrid AG/BIAB method Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a full volume mash in my mash tun with a BIAB bag. No sparge. I've seen quite a few water volume/strike temp calculators. I have Beersmith. They are all a little different. Some ask for hop amounts some don't, etc. I would like someone to point me to their favorite. I really don't know which one to use. There a couple of programs that are +\- almost a gallon difference.

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone.

just go to biabbrewing.com and look for the calculator. I don't know why the link won't work.

I'm going to be doing a full volume mash in my mash tun with a BIAB bag. No sparge. I've seen quite a few water volume/strike temp calculators. I have Beersmith. They are all a little different. Some ask for hop amounts some don't, etc. I would like someone to point me to their favorite. I really don't know which one to use. There a couple of programs that are +\- almost a gallon difference.

Bump

So I did my first BIAB/all grain hybrid batch. I screwed up my water mash volume by a lot, don’t ask how cuz I won’t tell you. This is what I did. Out of the cooler into the brew pot came 2 ½ gallons too much.(doing full boils). Suppose to have 6 ½ gallons come out, instead, 9 gallons. What did I do? I boiled it down to 6 ½(only took 2 hours!) then “started the boil”. Finished the brew and ended up with a 1061. It’s in the Carboy and rolling like crazy. Let the comments and questions begin. Thanks.

So I did my first BIAB/all grain hybrid batch. I screwed up my water mash volume by a lot, don’t ask how cuz I won’t tell you. This is what I did. Out of the cooler into the brew pot came 2 ½ gallons too much.(doing full boils). Suppose to have 6 ½ gallons come out, instead, 9 gallons. What did I do? I boiled it down to 6 ½(only took 2 hours!) then “started the boil”. Finished the brew and ended up with a 1061. It’s in the Carboy and rolling like crazy. Let the comments and questions begin. Thanks.

Ok I won't ask, but 9 gallons of runnings OMG :)

Good recovery, way to react and save the batch!

I'm sure you have a better handle on water volume required. I prefer to intentionally short the strike volume, and add a simple small pour sparge through the bag as it hangs and drains over the kettle.

Very foolproof to sparge to a volume if you have a mark on your mash paddle showing preboil volume in the kettle.

Even a cold water sparge works fine.

Thanks, you're right it got darker. I did a slow boil, tried not to make it roll and foam. I have to say, In the years of making brew, extract to this point, I've never hit the color, always way darker. That is, according to Brewsmith software.

Well......I've done two batches since the above screw up. This last batch went well. I did a full boil volume mash with 11lbs of grain to 7 gallons water. I know you're all laughing but it makes good beer. Just above 5 abv. Good crisp APAs. I'm big time violating the 1 1/4 qts/lb rule. I'm using about double the mash water necessary. Can one of you experienced scientist tell me why this is working, am I just getting lucky?

Nothing lucky about it. That's a typical water/grain ratio for full volume BIAB. Why don't you just put your bag in your kettle instead of using two vessels?

Nothing lucky about it. That's a typical water/grain ratio for full volume BIAB. Why don't you just put your bag in your kettle instead of using two vessels?

For now it's only because I had the cooler, I don't have a false bottom for the brew pot or a method for raising the grain bag.

For now it's only because I had the cooler, I don't have a false bottom for the brew pot or a method for raising the grain bag.

Don't let the false bottom or lack of hoist stop you. No need for a false bottom if you don't fire while the bag is in there. Wrap some insulation around the kettle.

And a lot of us don't really have a method for raising the bag other than to grab it with our hands and pull. Then we'll set it aside in another bucket, or let it rest over the kettle on the grate from a grill or oven.

Don't let the false bottom or lack of hoist stop you. No need for a false bottom if you don't fire while the bag is in there. Wrap some insulation around the kettle.

And a lot of us don't really have a method for raising the bag other than to grab it with our hands and pull. Then we'll set it aside in another bucket, or let it rest over the kettle on the grate from a grill or oven.

I'll try it next batch, thanks.

Well......I've done two batches since the above screw up. This last batch went well. I did a full boil volume mash with 11lbs of grain to 7 gallons water. I know you're all laughing but it makes good beer. Just above 5 abv. Good crisp APAs. I'm big time violating the 1 1/4 qts/lb rule. I'm using about double the mash water necessary. Can one of you experienced scientist tell me why this is working, am I just getting lucky?

That 1 1/4 qts per pound is just a workaround for the smaller size of the mash tun and the necessity of having enough water to be able to stir the grains in, a rule of thumb that has become "the law". I've mashed all the way from 1 1/4 qts per pound to 4 qts per pound with the same efficiency. I still do a sparge but it won't be the big amount that Beersmith defaults to because I don't see the need to boil off that amount of water. I might use anywhere from a quart to a gallon of sparge in a 2 1/2 gallon batch with similar efficiency.

With the larger amount of water, the enzyme concentration is reduced but that is balanced by the greater mobility the thinner mash allows so it all balances out.

As mentioned your ratio looks perfectly normal for a full volume mash. The biggest potential issue with thin mashes is probably pH. I don't know how you're handling your water but sounds like your batches are coming out okay.

As mentioned your ratio looks perfectly normal for a full volume mash. The biggest potential issue with thin mashes is probably pH. I don't know how you're handling your water but sounds like your batches are coming out okay.

I use spring water from the store and that PH stabilizer. And gypsum.

Back