beer at 1.002 - i think its diastaticus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
i am on my third repitch of lallemand koln kolsch yeast cake and noticed my ispindel hasnt stopped dropping. the kolsch its at 1.22 for an abv of almost 7. yikes.

its the same recipe except i mashed at 150 instead of 154.

i am hoping its the ispindel but i tasted a swig this morning and it seems more bitter and feels like it has more alcohol so i think it may be diastaticus . that would make sense . if the diastaticus can eat more sugar and dry it out it would likely taste more bitter also i think. otherwise it tastes good . no off flavors at all.

am i in trouble ,

do i have to worry about this yeast or will regular cleaning and sanitizing take care of it.

i imagine i cant repitch this cake no more. damn .

any advice?

i think it may be diastaticus
Have you brewed with a diastatic strain before? Where would it have come from? Are you thinking low level contamination of your original pack of Koln that eventually overtook the culture, or a wild yeast contaminant? I don't think spontaneous mutation to diastatic is a thing.

Did you take a gravity reading not from the ispindle?
not yet i am going to when i get home.

Have you brewed with a diastatic strain before? Where would it have come from? Are you thinking low level contamination of your original pack of Koln that eventually overtook the culture, or a wild yeast contaminant? I don't think spontaneous mutation to diastatic is a thing.
thanks mac this is very reassuring . i did a lot of assuming. i assumed its diastaticus cause i figured anything else that could dry my beer out that much i would have tasted ( bacterial contamination)
i assumed it just mutated randomly . or possibly wild contaminant . (which now that i type this seems unlikely beacuse im pretty good with cleaning and sanitization.) ill admit i barely read up on it.
i definatley didnt think it was a contaminant in my original pack. i dint know that could happen.
"I don't think spontaneous mutation to diastatic is a thing."- this is very reassring thanks. but then why did it dry out so much.

The final gravity of Kölsch beer is typically between 1.007 and 1.011. Seems like it's way too early to be wondering about infections or diastaticus+ yeast...

Cheers!
sorry typo in the original post its at 1.002 not 1.22

Check your gravity with a hydrometer. I often get way lower readings with my Tilt during fermentation. I don't trust it for accurate measurements. I use it to watch trends during fermentation. Probably the same thing as your iSpindel.

thanks i will check with hydrometer but it definitely tasted more alcoholic than previous batches. which makes me think that the 1.002 is prolly close.

if its not contaminated i am not sure what caused this if the hydrometer reading agrees.

im still going to drink it tho - lol

Tasting more alcohol could be your head playing tricks on you some too. You see the 1.002 and your brain tastes more alcohol. If it's not tasting dry or thin, then maybe your iSpindel is off some. It could be that the beer just finished lower if you gave it a big repitch of healthy yeast. Maybe not all the way to 1.002 if your iSpindel is off a little but enough to make it a little boozier.

On the other hand, it could be true that it crawled all the way that low. A Google search shows some others with similar results. Attenuation can heavily depend on mash schedule and pitch rates too. If it tastes good then drink it. I'd repitch again if no off flavors and see what happens. Kölsch isn't a very expensive beer for ingredients. Yeast is likely one of the more expensive parts. Why not try? Depending on how you're repitching maybe cut back. A fraction of a fresh yeast cake should be enough.

Back