Huge blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
Well I brewed an imperial stout on Saturday, pitched on a Irish ale yeast cake, and sat back for the fireworks...A little more than expected. :rockin:

(Even my fermenter got in the Christmas spirit :D

blowoffmess1%20%28Large%29.jpg

blowoffmess2%20%28Large%29.jpg

blowoffmess3%20%28Large%29.jpg

Nope, 6.5 with about 5.5-6 gallons in it. Used fermcap in the boil too. This pic is from yesterday morning, the krausen has started to fall some already.

Must be the Irish Ale yeast. I have had quite a bit of blow off the times that I have used that yeast in Stout and other dark beers. Ironically, I was just thinking about how the PacMan yeast that I used for an IPA I brewed this weekend was not as aggressive even though it did produce a nice krausen and all. The batches that I brewed with the Irish Ale (Wyeast) were extract so I was also wondering if that had something to do with it. They both turned out great though. Montanaandy

i just had a huge blow off pitching a belgian tripel onto an abbey II yeast cake. 6 gallon carboy too. i was not expecting the yeast to be that hungry, but all is good. other than the wife not being happy with the mess in the basement!

Must be the Irish Ale yeast. I have had quite a bit of blow off the times that I have used that yeast in Stout and other dark beers. Ironically, I was just thinking about how the PacMan yeast that I used for an IPA I brewed this weekend was not as aggressive even though it did produce a nice krausen and all. The batches that I brewed with the Irish Ale (Wyeast) were extract so I was also wondering if that had something to do with it. They both turned out great though. Montanaandy

Just had the same experience with the Wyest Irish Ale yeast in my recent quasi-Stout / robust porter brew. Fast fermentation start with crazy activity and blow-off. Will post how it turns out after Christmas Day (tap day)

T

HAHA! Same exact thing just happened to me! Brewed an Oatmeal Stout last night. OG of 1.055. Pitched the yeast and had bubbles at around 5 hours later. Just checked on it and found the airlock blown to pieces and the carboy looking like a volcano! Re-sanitizing the airlock and will re-attach it once the krausen subsides...

Not too worried about any nasties crawling through all that foam and into the carboy.

This happens to me every time I use WLP004. Once the krausen gets up the neck of the carboy, I just remove the airlock all together and have an open ferment. Never had a problem.

This happens to me every time I use WLP004. Once the krausen gets up the neck of the carboy, I just remove the airlock all together and have an open ferment. Never had a problem.

I went to Lowes or HD and bought a 3-4 foot section of 2 inch foodgrade vynal tubing and stuffed that into the neck of the carboy, then stuck the other end in a bucket of water and let it have at it till the krausen subsides. Works great. After that, stick the airlock on and it's business as usual.

I brewed my standard stout the other day and I knew for a fact that this was going to happen with that Irish yeast. This time I put the fermenter in the tub to be on the safe side. around 2 in the morning I hear a huge bang. I go into the bathroom and there is stout all over.... including the cieling. I was very happy that I placed the carboy in the bath tub haha.

Had this happen this passed weekend with the IIPA that I brewed using US04. The thing ended up need a 1 inch blow off tube for two days to be able to handle all the foam, but it was awesome to watch!

Cheers

Back