How's this for a Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
This will be my first Pale Ale AG recipe. it is kind of a hybrid American/British Pale Ale. Criticize but be constructive so i might learn something... thanks!

7.5 lbs Maris Otter
2.0 lbs 2 Row
.5 lbs Munich malt
.5 lbs Victory malt
.5 lbs Honey malt

.25 oz Summit @ 60
.25 oz Warrior @ 60
.75 oz Summit @ 5
.75 oz Warrior @ 5
.5 oz Summit @ flameout
.5 oz Warrior @ flameout

Honey malt, is really just a domestic version of meladonin malt, that I really think tastes harsher. It adds some malt smell to the beer, but if you havent used it alot Id drop it. I think people are excited by its name, but I dont think it will help here.

Unless you want it nutty, quite toasty, the victory isnt necessary, The MO has alot of toast. And you are cutting the marris otter with the two row, so that seems to be working against itself, not sure whats going on there. (Not that it will be bad)

If it was my beer, I'd simplify to 10lbs Marris Otter, 1lb of Munich. YMMV

Warrior is my favorite bittering hop, it is very smooth. But it doesnt have much aroma used late. If you are looking for something mild/herbal, Id go with something like mt hood/liberty/willamette.

Looks like it will make pale ale. I havn't used those hops before but a quick read shows that they are both more suited to bittering than aroma, so maybe look at switching one out with cascade? (

In saying that I fully condone experimenting with hops..........

I'd go with all MO base as mentioned above, drop the honey but keep both victory and munich. Its similar to a pale ale I'm enjoying now (based off JZ and JPs recipe in Brewing Classic Styles). Choose one hop for bittering if you have enough (I'd also vote warrior) and pick whatever flavor/aroma hop strikes your fancy - say 1oz each at 10 and 0 minutes.

Back