How's the top of this Oktoberfest look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
Here's an Oktoberfest after 29 days in primary, I planned on bottling tomorrow and bottle conditioning for a month. This is only my 7th beer and 2nd lager, I've never had one chunky looking on top so I thought I'd post a pic. I wanted to get a smell, apparently put my nose too deep into the bucket and got a big hit of CO2, not a good idea.

It was a partial mash, kept at lagering temps the entire time, the sample was 48f. Yeast was 2208 bavarian that I harvested from my last lager. OG 1.060, gravity today 1.017. Should I care that beersmith guessed 1.015 as a final?

The gravity sample was delicious so I drank all of it :mug:

YdAJm.jpg

I'd bet that it's not done fermenting yet and would definitely give it at least 2 more days to see if it has dropped any gravity points

do your diacetyl rest at 60 degrees for 2 days than bottle or put in secondary vessel and lager it for a couple months

Is that typically how a lager looks? I've never made a lager and I would assume that would not be a good sign for an ale

My friend just got an Oktoberfest beer for Christmas and the instructions that came with it (yes I know those are not good but he doesn't listen) seem to be similar to an ale. He fermented it at ale temps.

The pipeline got a little messed up so I'm actually short on bottles right now. I can either go buy some more or let it sit for a couple more weeks, probably won't bother putting it a secondary if I let it sit.

Back