How youse doin'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a long-time drinker, first time brewer. Been interested in brewing beer for quite some time, but just never got it together before. Now, one of my brothers-in-law just opened up a homebrew store and hooked me up. I've got a generic pilsner kit fermenting in the basement, looking forward to bottling it and seeing how it turns out. I was a little concerned, as it blew the guts out of my airlock and spent a few hours exposed to atmosphere, but I cleaned up the airlock and put it back on and it's still bubbling, so I'm going to just hang loose and see how it turns out. If it goes again I'm going to rig a blow-off tube. I guess fermenting 5G of beer in a 5G carboy isn't the way to go...

Welcome.
5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy isn't the best and easiest way to do it. It can be done with Fermcap foam control that your BIL should sell. But a 6.5 gallon bucket is a better way to ferment.
Don't expect that pilsner to taste like a real German or Czech pilsner, most pilsner kits come with ale yeast that ferment pretty warm(60F or higher). But it's a good way to start and don't worry too much if your first beer isn't an award winner. Realistically I probably brewed for 2 years before I came up with a solid beer, luckily I didn't know any better back then.

Welcome! I'm right around the corner. Where is the shop your BIL setup, in the area?

Unfortunately, he's in North Carolina. We went down there for Thanksgiving and came back with a "True Brew" Gold Kit (for whatever that's worth) and a couple of beer kits. My wife got me a case of bottles and a copy of How to Brew from Keystone Homebrew, but I haven't been yet. Any places in the area I should know about?

Back