How to use (2) Tilt Hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anybody here using more than 1 Tilt? Do you need (2) repeaters or old iPhones, etc? Or can the app use 2 Tilts on one device if they are different colors?

Thanks

Can confirm the iPhone app can handle multiple Tilts as long as they are different colors.

The Android TILT 2 app lets you run multiple tilts, I have 2 running at the same time (they are different colors). I think you can have "up to 6", forgot where I read/heard that from though.

I have 2 tilts. You can use the phone app to view both at the same time. But, that is just for viewing.

For recording and record keeping (which is what I like about the Tilts), you will need to use use an apple or android device. But, they must be within Bluetooth range to continually record.

Or, for super cheap you can build a TiltBridge. This is a device that replaces the need for a phone or tablet or whatever for continual recording.

https://tiltbridge.readthedocs.io/en/master/index.html

The Tilt software can display up to eight units at a time.
I'm using the Tilt Pi software (on a RPi4) to monitor mine (I have two currently). I went from the standard to pro model Tilts due to the standard ones (even with repeaters) not working for me. I did install the software that also allows me to have a display connected to the Pi and show the units there. Makes it so that I don't need to pull out a tablet, or phone, every time I want to check if I'm in that area. But, I can also connect to it from my computer, phone, or tablet(s) and see what's going on (when on the local network).
The only real issue I had with setting up the Tilt Pi is the non-existent information on using a wired network connection to the Pi instead of going with the wifi connection. The wifi chip in the Pi isn't strong enough to go from the basement to the second floor here (house built in the early 80's). Connected up an ethernet cable and no issues getting to it.

BTW, setting up the Tilt Pi is very easy, except for the above mentioned issue/item. You don't need to do any coding, or command line work, or anything like that. Simply follow the instructions for blasting the software onto the microSD card, insert into the Pi and power it on. I did hard code the IP address on mine, since I didn't want it to change. Makes it easier that way. I also added a DNS record on my domain controller for it, so I could use a FQDN to connect to it. I also connected it up to a 19.5" LCD (< $120) easily. I do plan to change out the case the Pi is using to one without a fan since the basement is cool enough year round (now) that it won't need any fan cooling on it. Less noise in the room when nothing else is running.

The Tilt software can display up to eight units at a time.
I'm using the Tilt Pi software (on a RPi4) to monitor mine (I have two currently). I went from the standard to pro model Tilts due to the standard ones (even with repeaters) not working for me. I did install the software that also allows me to have a display connected to the Pi and show the units there. Makes it so that I don't need to pull out a tablet, or phone, every time I want to check if I'm in that area. But, I can also connect to it from my computer, phone, or tablet(s) and see what's going on (when on the local network).
The only real issue I had with setting up the Tilt Pi is the non-existent information on using a wired network connection to the Pi instead of going with the wifi connection. The wifi chip in the Pi isn't strong enough to go from the basement to the second floor here (house built in the early 80's). Connected up an ethernet cable and no issues getting to it.

BTW, setting up the Tilt Pi is very easy, except for the above mentioned issue/item. You don't need to do any coding, or command line work, or anything like that. Simply follow the instructions for blasting the software onto the microSD card, insert into the Pi and power it on. I did hard code the IP address on mine, since I didn't want it to change. Makes it easier that way. I also added a DNS record on my domain controller for it, so I could use a FQDN to connect to it. I also connected it up to a 19.5" LCD (< $120) easily. I do plan to change out the case the Pi is using to one without a fan since the basement is cool enough year round (now) that it won't need any fan cooling on it. Less noise in the room when nothing else is running.

I so want to do this but Raspberry Pis are impossible to buy right now.

Really?? I just looked on Amazon and see both Pi3 and Pi4 units available for purchase. Not a ton in stock, but there.
There are some for sale but they are at pretty ridiculous prices. I don’t want to do the project that badly!

Thanks guys. I have one Tilt (green) and I leave an old iphone next to it to do the logging. It is nice first to be able to get gravity readings without opening a fermenter and also to be able to check your hydrometer from your iphone anywhere. It sends an email from Noah when I start logging and anytime I want to check it I just go in through that. Only having one has slowed down my brewing (not a bad thing in my case) since I only have one beer going at a time. I was considering getting a second but wasn’t sure how that would work. I usually would never have more than 2 going at a time. Sounds like I would need another device to have 2 logging?

@bwible You can have the same device connected to multiple Tilt units. The app can handle up to eight of them.

I actually have a red and black Tilt standard posted for sale since I needed to go with the Pro models for my setup. I also have a pair of repeaters available.

Is anybody here using more than 1 Tilt? Do you need (2) repeaters or old iPhones, etc? Or can the app use 2 Tilts on one device if they are different colors?

Thanks
I have two Tilts- an older version and a newer version (larger with greater range). I have an old iPhone (8) that I leaved plugged into its charger and is set by my two fermenters, SS Brewtech Chronograph and Unitank. The Tilt app on that iPhone gets the signal just fine and because the iPhone is logged into my home wifi, the iPhone sends the Tilt info to the web and to my Brewfather app automatically. Works well for monitoring and easy setup if you have an old iPhone or iPad and wifi.

I have two Tilts- an older version and a newer version (larger with greater range). I have an old iPhone (8) that I leaved plugged into its charger and is set by my two fermenters, SS Brewtech Chronograph and Unitank. The Tilt app on that iPhone gets the signal just fine and because the iPhone is logged into my home wifi, the iPhone sends the Tilt info to the web and to my Brewfather app automatically. Works well for monitoring and easy setup if you have an old iPhone or iPad and wifi.
“Old iphone 8”. That’s my current phone. Actually 8 plus. Ha ha. Its a 256G phone. It works just fine, it’s paid for, and I don’t want to let go of it because its the last model that still has the button. Ha ha

image.jpg

Here is my ferm chest freezer with a very old iPad mini connected to 2 Tilts sitting on top. I love being able to have a live dashboard. The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to log both Tilts to the same spreadsheet. Anyone know how?

This picture shows a great use case for the tilts and why I should have paid attention yesterday. And why having 2 is good. I am running a comparison of two IPAs from the same mash and boil, one with dry yeast (left blue) and one with liquid Yeast (right orange) I put them both in the same chest freezer and had the temp probe on the liquid yeast fermenter since it had started first. Didn’t think it would be an issue. The liquid yeast batch has been running steady for the last 2.5 days with a pretty straight line of dropping SG (See link below). The dry yeast batch lagged then apparently took off yesterday and shot up to 72 F. It is now way ahead of the liquid yeast but too warm for my taste (we will see how it tastes once on tap). i switched the temp probe and you can see in the picture it has dropped to 70, but I will move it to another chest freezer now to keep the liquid one from getting too cold. I would have never known what happened with them without the tilt. And next time I will pay closer attention. :)

The one drawback is I won’t be able to retrieve the Tilts until I transfer these beers to the kegs. so if I want to brew again in 2 weeks I will have to rush to get them packaged. so it’s a timing issue. I don’t really want to open the fermenters and risk O2 exposure.

IPA #4 dry (BLUE TILT)

IPA #5 liquid (ORANGE TILT)

Last edited:
The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to log both Tilts to the same spreadsheet. Anyone know how?

Enter the beer name and start logging the first Tilt. A number will be added to the beer name. Copy the beer name and number and paste it in the beer name of the second tilt. That should log them both to the same spreadsheet.

Enter the beer name and start logging the first Tilt. A number will be added to the beer name. Copy the beer name and number and paste it in the beer name of the second tilt. That should log them both to the same spreadsheet.

i will try next time. Will it graph them with separate lines?

I bought a used iPhone 4 about 4 years ago for $20. It stays constantly plugged in (since you need the screen always on because it will stop logging when the phone goes to sleep) and I run the Tilt2 app on it.

For the most part it works great, but every couple of days, the app just quits. I see my data stream going stale, so I just go downstairs and fire the app up again and I'm back in business.

I have 4 Tilts. Usually just running one, sometimes 2. If I have a multi batch experiment running, I have used all 4 at one time.

Latest posts

Back