How to properly prepare for accurately tasting beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonkman

Reaction score
Any tips on cleansing the palate?

I feel like just swirling water isn't really adequate.

What do judges do?

Cleansing the palate is not done.... unless you're stuck at judge table 30A and come across "Bubba and Cooters Back 40 Rutabaga porter"........

I read somewhere and have found through my own experience that a plain white bread does a pretty good job, something like a French.

Unsalted water crackers do a great job. Cheap and not overly filling. Carr's is one brand name I recall but probably many more.
Also, make sure your rinse water does not have too much flavor like chlorinated city or really minerally well water. Distilled water good for a flavorless rinse, but realize that it does not offer the same hydration as non-distilled.

I like to rinse with everclear between samples.

Seriously the above suggestions are spot on. Any type of fairly neutral bread or cracker will be okay, avoid flavored varieties.

Thanks all!

Keen to host a tasting, and I'll be sure to make a good few baguettes too.

I once had a blind bmc light-beer tasting.
I'm not a light pilsner fan so I dont really count. I think I like Michelob ultra. Amongst my mates, bud light only, coors light only and a miller light only.
Wife poured bud light, coors light, Michelob ultra, keith stone and natty light.

All beers served at same temp and tasted from same style plastic solo cup - it is light beer after all.

Everyone thought they new their favorite and called out the number, and 8 of 9 agreed on the same number insisting the other liked their beer.

The reveal: hands down - natty light.

The resolve, most of them still paid for their fav, but I buy natty when I'm mixing cheladas or looking for cheap camp beer.
Since its like 2-3 cases a year, I dont know why I care. But every time I go to buy light beer, i cant help but think of my tasting.

Latest posts

Back