How to prevent keg liquid leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
For the 2nd or 3rd time in my homebrew career I walked out to my chest freezer where my serving kegs are to find my just-tapped pilsner had emptied out of the picnic faucet into the freezer, losing all 5 gallons.

I don't understand how these leaks happen. The tap was closed and seemingly functioning correctly when I inspected it but it's definitely where the beer came out.

Does anyone know how this happens and how to prevent it?

I wouldn't leave a picnic tap connected to a keg as a full time pouring device. I mean, I've dumped whole kegs like that due to a bad QD or a loose top on one, but picnic faucets are too simple and cheaply made to risk it.
Happened to me too, before I had a keezer. The whole keg, followed by whatever amount of CO2 was in the 20# tank. Read about it here.

Sorry for your loss mate, I've had similar happen where beer has forced through a picnic tap at around 10psi, so never trust them to stay connected, I only turn the gas on if needed.....and turn the gas off and disconnect the tap after every pour.... Simple.
Once bitten 🍻👍

Yeah, agree all the above. Don't leave a picnic tap connected. And I just turn CO2 off when not in use (more to guard against gas leaks).

I also keep a liquid to gas jumper onhand in case I discover an unconnected keg leaking through the poppet.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss mate, I've had similar happen where beer has forced through a picnic tap at around 10psi, so never trust them to stay connected, I only turn the gas on if needed.....and turn the gas off and disconnect the tap after every pour.... Simple.
Once bitten 🍻👍
Ditto on turning off the gas, and disconnecting the taps; my SOP.

I know a brewer who had friends over to share some brew. One fellow went and refilled his mug, placed the tap on top of the keg and closed the lid. Harmless, right? The clearance was tight in this particular freezer and the lid pressed down on the tap and emptied a full keg and gas bottle before the next guy opened the lid. 😞

Thanks for the responses. It was a rough one, I just had to buy beer from the store which is my least favorite thing in the world. And yeah, emptied my keg of beer than the rest of the 10#co2 tank.

I've been putting off a proper keezer and just using kegs in a chest freezer w/ picnic taps. Guess I'll just disconnect the picnic tap after every pour for now

This incident also happened at 2 am on keg 2 with friends so maybe the real preventative measure is to not handle kegs while schwasted

For the 2nd or 3rd time in my homebrew career I walked out to my chest freezer where my serving kegs are to find my just-tapped pilsner had emptied out of the picnic faucet into the freezer, losing all 5 gallons.

I don't understand how these leaks happen. The tap was closed and seemingly functioning correctly when I inspected it but it's definitely where the beer came out.

Does anyone know how this happens and how to prevent it?
Only connect the taps when serving. Disconnect between serving sessions. This will also preserve the shelf life of your beer and reduce O2 ingress. And you also won't have to worry about leaks!

I use one of these for all of my kegs. Super easy to clean, no lines, no leaks. Much better quality than a run of the mill picnic tap.

I even stopped using my fancy intertap faucets as I find this much more convenient than dealing with a line

I don't understand how these leaks happen.

This incident also happened at 2 am on keg 2 with friends so maybe the real preventative measure is to not handle kegs while schwasted
Were you pouring the beer for said friends, or are they allowed to do it themselves? If the latter, you’ve answered your own question and inebriated guests are likely the culprit and the tap was depressed somehow when they were done. I have Intertap faucets through the door of my homemade kegerator, but still dislike other people operating the taps… most people can’t be trusted.

Were you pouring the beer for said friends, or are they allowed to do it themselves? If the latter, you’ve answered your own question and inebriated guests are likely the culprit and the tap was depressed somehow when they were done. I have Intertap faucets through the door of my homemade kegerator, but still dislike other people operating the taps… most people can’t be trusted.
Yep! Be the bartender at your party; you’ll always have someone to talk to and likely the most popular guy there! 😂

Back