How to pour a Black & Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Have read about the pouring devices for pouring a Black & Tan. Apparently some device is needed. Just tried pouring a Black & Tan without a device and it didn't work, the Imperial Stout and the Imperial IPA mixing right away. What device do you use?

I use one bottle in one hand and another bottle in the other hand and pour together, pretty high tech. I don't think they stay in layers, at least ours don't, we just mix the styles together in a large mug. Maybe there is some device to keep them separated, but I'd think as thin as beer is, the first time you tipped the glass they would mix anyway. I use a spoon too on liquor type drinks, never tried it with beer.

My wife found and bought a Black and Tan turtle at the world market store. Works pretty well but a spoon should still work fine

You can do it just pouring down the side of a diagonally-tilted glass, if you pour the "top" beer verrry veeerrrrryyyy sssslllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwlllllllyyyyyy.

Heck, a klutz like me can do it after several pints. This is typically out of pitchers, though, so, you may wanna let the bottle for the "top" beer sit for a minute if you're pouring from a bottle, or run the "top" beer into a pitcher for slow pouring if you're pouring from a tap.

I've also heard the spoon thing works, but, I've never tried it. *shrug*

The spoon works great! I have a "turtle" as well.

The higher FG beer goes on the bottom, with the lower FG beer on the top.

One time, for me it was reversed! Usually the lighter beer is on top, but since my IIPA had a higher FG than the stout, I reversed them. It was so cool!

befus said:
I use one bottle in one hand and another bottle in the other hand and pour together, pretty high tech. I don't think they stay in layers, at least ours don't, we just mix the styles together in a large mug. Maybe there is some device to keep them separated, but I'd think as thin as beer is, the first time you tipped the glass they would mix anyway. I use a spoon too on liquor type drinks, never tried it with beer.

Oh goodness! It certainly doesn't mix when you drink it. You should try a real black and tan. One of my favorite things to do. As soon as you are getting bored of your stout....oooh, what's this? a delicious english pale. So nice.

Oh, and they answered your question, a spoon.

I just use a spoon and pour really slow. Takes a lot of practice to get it right.

image-3690441077.jpg

Funny, I used to get them all the time back in college. I don't think I had one since. Going on 10 years now.

Luckily I have about a dozen different brews hanging around. Off I go....

Back