How to make pre-gelatinized "flaked rice"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know you guys are going to laugh, but I want to make a Budweiser clone brew for my best friend. He drinks Budweiser and Coor's Original Banquet Beer, pretty much exclusively. He is open to trying craft brews, and out of all the beer styles in the world he actually loves sours. But, nevertheless, he would gladly hand over any esoteric barrel aged Belgian farmhouse ale, or triple IPA for an ice-cold 12 oz'er of bladder wash.
He never gets into my home brews, because they are always... well... not boring. But his bday is coming up in a few months, and I want to brew up a 10 gallon batch of Budweiser Cone, complete with rice, and beachwood etc. BUT... I want to make it special. SO... there is a local rice plantation here where we live. All Budweiser clone's I can find call for flaked rice. Or pregelatinized rice flakes. It sounds like rice that has simply been cooked already. Does anyone know if this is the case, or what?

Yep, cooked rice will work great. You should boil the rice in plenty of water for an hour, it kinda dissolves, becomes very gooey. Then use that as your strike water. I do that with milled corn.

Now, as you hopefully know, Light American Lagers ARE some of the most difficult beers to brew... any flaw is easily detected, possibly ruining the "experience" of its subtle flavor profile.

I know you guys are going to laugh, but I want to make a Budweiser clone brew for my best friend. He drinks Budweiser and Coor's Original Banquet Beer, pretty much exclusively.
He never gets into my home brews, because they are always... well... not boring. But his bday is coming up in a few months, and I want to brew up a 10 gallon batch of Budweiser Cone, complete with rice, and beachwood etc.

Your best friend is to be pitied not laughed at (at least not too vigorously).
Keep in mind that the "beachwood aging" adds absolutely nothing to the taste of the beer. The beachwood used is treated to be absolutely neutral. It's used merely as a means of attracting the yeast and aiding in clarifying the beer and the same result could be achieved by blocks of stainless steel. If you use non-treated beachwood you'll get a very non budlike beer, you know: non boring.

I did that 3 weeks ago, for the first time. I simmered 1.5 pounds of rice in a gallon of water until it turned into mush (a little over a half hour) As it cooled it thickened up like wet concrete, so at about 140 degrees I added a big handful of crushed malt and stirred it in. That liquefied it quickly, so I could stir it into the mash.

I didn't do it quite right, but it worked really well.

You won't be able to brew a clone of Bud, so don't even try. Brew something close; a rice-based cream ale, lightly hopped. Maybe use Kolsch yeast. "Cream of Three Crops" might be a good starting point, but use all rice instead of rice and corn. HTH

Latest posts

Back