Using flaked rice in cream ales. How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone gave me 10 lbs of flaked rice and I am wanting to use it to make some cream ales. I have seen some recipes use 1/2-1 lb of flaked rice but I would like to know if there is any downside to using more like 1.5-2.0 lbs. I think I have plenty of 6 row to help with the conversion of the flaked grains. Also wondering if I should use a small amount of carapils.

Here is the recipe I am thinking of:

4 lbs 2-row
4 lbs 6-row
1.5 lbs flaked corn
1.5 lbs flaked rice
1 oz Hallertauer 60 min
0.5 oz Saaz 10 min
0.5 oz Saaz 0 min
White Labs American Ale yeast

Can I just add 1 lb of flaked rice to most ale recipes to just raise the gravity w/o changing the taste?

That's fine. You can cut out the corn and go with all flaked rice as your adjunct if you'd like, and go as high as 30% flaked rice if you want a super light American lager beer. I like the idea of some carapils to help with head and head retention.

That's fine. You can cut out the corn and go with all flaked rice as your adjunct if you'd like, and go as high as 30% flaked rice if you want a super light American lager beer. I like the idea of some carapils to help with head and head retention.

So will flaked corn and flaked rice not mix well for this level of use? Is it better to use one or the other but not necessarily both? I know that flaked adjuncts like wheat, corn and rice have a shorter shelf life than standard grain and I would like to use these up this fall for brewing since I know have 6 lbs of flaked corn and 8 lbs of flaked wheat.

Thank you for your reply.

So will flaked corn and flaked rice not mix well for this level of use? Is it better to use one or the other but not necessarily both? I know that flaked adjuncts like wheat, corn and rice have a shorter shelf life than standard grain and I would like to use these up this fall for brewing since I now have 6 lbs of flaked corn and 8 lbs of flaked rice.

So will flaked corn and flaked rice not mix well for this level of use? Is it better to use one or the other but not necessarily both? I know that flaked adjuncts like wheat, corn and rice have a shorter shelf life than standard grain and I would like to use these up this fall for brewing since I know have 6 lbs of flaked corn and 8 lbs of flaked wheat.

Sure, it's fine. I like both, but many like one or the other. If you like both- use both! I just assumed you had more flaked rice than corn.

Sure, it's fine. I like both, but many like one or the other. If you like both- use both! I just assumed you had more flaked rice than corn.

I want to try to make a good house ale for my father-in-law who likes BMC style beers but I want it to be better than your typical top shelf BMC beer. He is coming to visit in 6 1/2 weeks so doing a lager won't work. He is not into the pale ales, ambers, stouts and IPAs that my wife enjoys. He usually buys typical Bud style beers and leaves them in our refrigerator when he travels back down to Georgia.

Back