How to keep water in fermentation tub clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
So I control my ferm temperature putting my carboys in a plastic tub with a copper spiral in it. An acuarium pump controlled with an STC1000 runs cold water from a fridge.

My problem is that the water in the tub gets pretty nasty after some time. Mold and other stuff grows in it.

What can I add to the water to avoid this? Chlorine or starsan will corrode the copper. Will vinegar work? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Home Brew

Could change the water more frequently. I change mine after every brew.

Most of the times I change the water after each fermentation. But even during the first batch water gets nasty. And I hope I don't have to waste 20 - 25 gallons each time.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Home Brew

I have been considering the use of tetracycline. It will be a month before I can get to an aquarium supply store to check it out.

I imagine chlorine (or chloramines) should be OK in the right concentrations. Most of us have chlorine/chloramine treated municipal water running through the copper plumbing of our houses, without excessive corrosion or "gunk" growth...

subscribed

I do a water bath but change out my water after every fermentation. I do my water bath inside of a chest freezer using a pond liner.

I don't get any mold for low temp fermentations, but high temp ones get iffy.

Just thinking out loud, maybe a small fish filter? Keep the water circulating to help prevent the nasties, and pull out what eventually does form...

I was thinking the same thing about adding a fish, but then you add in another problem,as the fish eats the fish must....

I had a similar problem, for me doing quick water changes is easy, I slip a hose over the pump's outlet to drain it quickly into a standby 5 gal bucket.

I was thinking about an aquatic plant like java fern which will grow in anything but then I would need a light source, which defeats the purpose.

If you have surface agitation that should cut down on the scummy appearance.

Tetracycline is an antibiotic and wont control algae growth.

Could you set up a fish tank that is kept relatively cold; sure. You will need an actual filter or at minimum a prefilter on the pump to remove particulates. Goldfish would be the only common fish that can survive in the sub 70* water temps. However they are really dirty fish and you create a whole set
of new problems.

So basically I have nothing to add

My LHBS recommended I use iodine tablets or drops. Iodine tablets are the most commonly sold purifying tablets, but you can also use chlorine tablets with the same result. These tablets are most effective when the water you are purifying is 68 degrees F (21 degrees C) or higher. These chemical tablets will kill bacteria living in your water.

Starsan or some vodka should work great. I heard adding a little vodka to the water in a flower pot keeps it clean and the flowers live longer.

I was thinking the same thing about adding a fish, but then you add in another problem,as the fish eats the fish must....

I didnt mean adding an actual fish, just the filter that would normally go at the top of the tank. One that could be mounted to the top of the fermentation tub to keep the water moving and at the same time filter out any crap that happens to make it into the water in the tub. Although that might be kinda funny to picture a fermentation tub with a handful of feeder fish in it. Lol

I use Iodophor when I change the water each batch, or each month, whichever comes first.

Starsan works great for me!

This. Keep some starsan in there and while it might not keep it nice and pretty looking you can have some confidence the pH, if measured, is low enough to keep anything harmful from growing in there.

Back