Fermenting in full-size fridge/freezer combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartywillparty

Reaction score
I currently have my full-sized fridge/freezer combo set up with an Inkbird 308. It's set at a lagering temp of 52 degrees (F) right now and I have a German Pils in the fridge portion fermenting. Has anyone had any issues with molding or mildew or any other nasties while holding this appliance at these kind of temps?

I'm wondering if I should prop the freezer door open to avoid any science projects growing in a few weeks?

Mildew and mold usually require moisture. Leaving a fridge open would be exactly the wrong thing to do. Better is to keep the door closed and let the condensor do its thing, but if it's not keeping up, stick some dessicant product (eg: Damp Rid) in there to help dry out the air inside...

Cheers!

I use a fridge/freezer as fermentation chamber and tried using dry dessicant, not very effective. What I have found effective is a small AC fan that keeps the air circulating and makes for even temperature. Haven't had any big issues with mold and mildew despite the humid summers. Keep the inside clean and wipe it down with diluted bleach solution, rinse and dry thoroughly.

Back