How to keep fermentor cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I have been researching lately the best ways to keep my fermentor in the 65 degree range to curb off flavors. Unfortunately I do not control the temp in my apartment and have very difficult time keeping the fermentor cool. and the yeast happy. I have read on here that a wet cloth will do the trick or a temp controlled fridge.( the wife will not go for it, yet at least!)
Suggestions?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The easiest way for me has been to put the fermenter in a cooler, and then add water and frozen water bottles as needed to keep the water at 65 degrees (which will also keep the beer at that temperature).

I even made a different lid for my cooler, since the cooler's lid was hollow and I wanted to be able to take it off and use the cooler again as a cooler in the future.

Here's a photo of what I mean:

bruceb07

Reaction score
I have struggled with temp control also, using a swamp cooler you can easily get down to 69F but the temp swings between ice additions. I wanted better temp control so I went to the next step. Using the swamp cooler, another ice chest, my wort cooler an old fountain pump and a aquarium temp control unit I set out to manage these temp swings. Ice is added to the ice chest to maintain 40 - 50 F and this cooled water is pumped through the wort cooler maintaining the swamp cooler to the required temp. Currently I'm maintaining 65F +-0.5F. The test will be during the summer but I feel it could easily maintain required temps for ales.

IMG00270.jpg

IMG00271.jpg

IMG00272.jpg

C-Rider

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I like the cooler/custom lid thing... simplicity. I've used a similar approach to Yooper, but I just use a big round tub (the sort you can buy at Walmart for laundry like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fortex-Industries-Inc-CR650-Feeder-Pan/19647694) and do the ice/bottle trick.
Yea that's the way I did it before the freeze and temp controler. I kept 1/2 gallon bottles of water in the house freezer and swapped them out twice a day. Worked pretty good under the house in the shade in Hawai`i. Covered w/a damp towel as well.

IMGP5562.jpg

Bk2X

Reaction score
I bought a used fridge (midsize) off Craigslist and a temp controller from the HB store. $120 temp is spot on.

OP
dhoyt714

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Bk2X said:
I bought a used fridge (midsize) off Craigslist and a temp controller from the HB store. $120 temp is spot on.
I think I might go this route, I have a fridge and a guy I play basketball with us a hvac guy so he said he had a few temp controllers laying around. Now to convince the wife.

Latest posts