How to keep fermentor cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I have been researching lately the best ways to keep my fermentor in the 65 degree range to curb off flavors. Unfortunately I do not control the temp in my apartment and have very difficult time keeping the fermentor cool. and the yeast happy. I have read on here that a wet cloth will do the trick or a temp controlled fridge.( the wife will not go for it, yet at least!)
Suggestions?

The easiest way for me has been to put the fermenter in a cooler, and then add water and frozen water bottles as needed to keep the water at 65 degrees (which will also keep the beer at that temperature).

I even made a different lid for my cooler, since the cooler's lid was hollow and I wanted to be able to take it off and use the cooler again as a cooler in the future.

Here's a photo of what I mean:

4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

I have struggled with temp control also, using a swamp cooler you can easily get down to 69F but the temp swings between ice additions. I wanted better temp control so I went to the next step. Using the swamp cooler, another ice chest, my wort cooler an old fountain pump and a aquarium temp control unit I set out to manage these temp swings. Ice is added to the ice chest to maintain 40 - 50 F and this cooled water is pumped through the wort cooler maintaining the swamp cooler to the required temp. Currently I'm maintaining 65F +-0.5F. The test will be during the summer but I feel it could easily maintain required temps for ales.

IMG00270.jpg

IMG00271.jpg

IMG00272.jpg

I like the cooler/custom lid thing... simplicity. I've used a similar approach to Yooper, but I just use a big round tub (the sort you can buy at Walmart for laundry like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fortex-Industries-Inc-CR650-Feeder-Pan/19647694) and do the ice/bottle trick.

Yea that's the way I did it before the freeze and temp controler. I kept 1/2 gallon bottles of water in the house freezer and swapped them out twice a day. Worked pretty good under the house in the shade in Hawai`i. Covered w/a damp towel as well.

IMGP5562.jpg

I bought a used fridge (midsize) off Craigslist and a temp controller from the HB store. $120 temp is spot on.

Bk2X said:
I bought a used fridge (midsize) off Craigslist and a temp controller from the HB store. $120 temp is spot on.

I think I might go this route, I have a fridge and a guy I play basketball with us a hvac guy so he said he had a few temp controllers laying around. Now to convince the wife.

Latest posts

Back