how to hook up an not get beer everywhere....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
hi gang, i'm natutally carbing my first keg and i'm going to let it sit at room temperature for two weeks before I put it into the kegerator. my question is how do i go about hooking the Co2 and dispenser up to the keg as to not get squirted with beer?? i released some of my pressure from the gas in line and some beer came out.....how's this going to work? Pin lock so not pressure release btw

hi gang, i'm natutally carbing my first keg and i'm going to let it sit at room temperature for two weeks before I put it into the kegerator. my question is how do i go about hooking the Co2 and dispenser up to the keg as to not get squirted with beer?? i released some of my pressure from the gas in line and some beer came out.....how's this going to work? Pin lock so not pressure release btw
Were you squirted with beer or with foam? If it's foam, then there's prolly a sheetload of pressure in there or it's overcarbbed and you need to just vent it slower. If it's beer, then here's my best guesses:

- you reassembled the keg wrong and mismatched the posts with their intended diptubes.
- you overfilled the keg, and therefore the short gas diptube is below the liquid level (some of my kegs had ~4" gas diptubes and I cut them down)
- you accidentially hooked up to the liq side thinking it was the gas side (note: the gas post has only 2 pins on it)

I would say try again -- use the QD, a hose, and a valve or picnic tap so you can relieve the pressure slowly (and maybe a bucket so you don't make a mess). If you're still getting beer, then move your hose and valve to the other QD and see if that post gets you gas only. If they both give you beer, then the 2nd scenario is prolly it. Just pour some off, pint-by-pint, till the beer is below the gas diptube.

Hope this helps.

edit: also, in the future, buy kegs with a pressure relief valve that you can vent. I have all pinlocks, and only one came with that PITA non-ventable PR valve. I've avoided that lid so far.

Zing, I'm guessing it's Jay's #2 scenario. How did you release pressure from the gas in post? Did you just snap on the quick disconnect without gas hooked up?

correct, just pussed the post down with the quick release. i'm also going with overfilling

when i started kegging, i ran into the same problem. then i noticed that, when i looked into the keg, there was a "fill to here" line, and it was lower than where i filled them up to...

correct, just pussed the post down with the quick release. i'm also going with overfilling
After that keg gets floated and you disassemble, take a look at how long the gas side diptube is. If it's any longer than an inch, you can shorten it and that will minimize the chances of an overfill.

Every once in a while, you see someone wigging out because beer migrated from one keg to another due to a diff in pressure. That shouldn't be able to happen, as long as the gas-side diptube is well above the beer level. Check valves can help there, too.

Back