How to guesttimate Original Gravity after adding cane sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandhopper

Reaction score
I have a batch of lets just call it an "imperial pilsner" that I measured at 1085 original gravity... The total volume of this was originally 4 gallons.

Then after fermenting out a champagne yeast in primary, I added 5 lbs of demerara sugar(cane sugar), boiled with 1 gallon of water. Also pitched some sherry yeast that can ferment up to about 25%.

So total volume is now 5 gallons, and the gravity measured today is around 1009.

Since I didnt measure the gravity after throwing in the sugarwater, I have no idea how to even guess what the alcohol percentage is now.

Anyone got the skills to calculate a guess of what the current ABV would be in theory at this point, given the addition of 5lbs sugar + 1 gal water?

ok...diluting your 1.085 from 4 to 5 gallons would make your OG ~1.068 (1.085*4/5)
your 5 lbs of sugar would add about 41 points to your 5 gallons, which would put your OG at 1.109
so, you're looking at around 13% ABV

Champagne and sherry yeast do not make a pilsner, just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks Fantomlord! :ban: What source did you use for determining the 41 points?

kh54s10, of course I am going to drink it, why wouldnt I?
I get 46 additional points from the sugar using Beersmith.

. . . but I agree with kh54s10. Not so sure I'd want to drink a beer that was 1/3 sugar.

Ray Daniels, "Designing Great Beers" places the gravity per pound for cane sugar at about 1.046. So 5 pounds into 5 gallons would add approximately 46 gravity points. I the numbers are close enough to fantomlord to get a good idea.

In reference to kh54s10- He was probably speaking to the 'dangers' of using too much sugar. IMHO, 5 lbs of sugar is too much. It will probably make your beer taste cider-y. I hope it turns out how you wanted!

Edit: wow you guys are fast. Didn't mean to sound like I or any of us were jumping on the "put-down" wagon.

Of course its not a pilsner. It's probably not imperial either if you look up the definition and history. Many people would not even call it beer. And it is strictly against the german purity law a.k.a reinheitsgebot too.

But I enjoy experimenting and pushing the limits, and this one tasted amazing when I sampled it with the wine thief from the secondary today :)

Oh good! As long as you are aware of what you're doing. I think most of us are used to dealing with people doing things out of ignorance.

Campaign and wine yeast? Are you sure it's done at 1009? With the addition of all that ts I'd expect those yeasts to turn that into dry fire water. If your packaging in glass please be careful of bombs.

Be sure to report back on this one!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back