How to Emphasize the Aroma of a Unique Ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
Say I found some special ingredient not typically used in brewing that has an aroma which I want to really stand out in a beer. What levers can I play with to achieve this? The ingredient could be a unique flower or some herb I encountered by chance in an exotic market etc

Off the top of my head i'd 1) minimize any late hop additions in case there are any aroma clashes, 2) have a grain bill of 2-row only, 3) use a "clean" yeast eg US-05 and ferment cool, 4) use a water profile that emphasizes "hoppiness" as opposed to maltiness, 5) mash low for a drier base and 6) add it to the boil really late or even "dry hop" with it.

What do you think?

I think all of those are good steps, especially the "minimize late hop additions" and "dry hop with it". I would treat it as any other flavor additive like chocolate or vanilla and dry hop in a secondary.

First thing I'd do is make a tea or infusion from the ingredient, and see if it is tolerable on its own.

Then maybe mix some of that with a miller lite or some such to see how it plays.

Not sure that I would necessarily keep the grain bill limited to 2-Row. I would see if there are any particular malt characteristics that play well off the aroma. Maybe a roasted dark malt, or a sweeter crystal, etc...

Last year I did something similar. I used wild ginger in a blond ale. I used about a tablespoon in a 5 gallon batch in the last 5 min s of the boil. When I pulled a sample you could not pick up the ginger at all. So a made a simple tincture with the ginger and vodka. I figured since I didn't taste the 1 table spoon added during the boil, I'd add 2 with the tincture at bottling. That was too much.

So, it might be a good idea to add a little to a commercial beer or a similar beer to what you plan to use. That would also give you a frame of reference as to how much you need for your batch.

Back