How To Deal With A Loose Fermenter Lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OppR2nist

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the lid on my primary fermenter bucket is loose. The reason for this is that it's my second batch in there, and I'm getting zero activity in the bubbler airlock. Now, before anyone jumps on the 'get a clear carboy' wagon, I have one that I'm using for secondary.

What I'd really like to know is what I should do to get a better seal. I've heard it can be tapped down, but I don't want to go overboard with that. I'm welcome to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Does the lid have a rubber gasket in a slot underneath? If not, you cannot seal it well enough to make the CO2 go through the airlock.

You can get food grade lids in the paint dept at Lowes, but you will have to drill a hole for the airlock grommet.

Re: the secondary - unless you're adding fruit or aging it long-term (like months), skip it entirely. It just increases the risk of oxidation. Leave the beer in the primary until it hits FG plus 4-5 days then bottle.

It's the Northern Brewer drilled lid. I haven't had any issues with fermentation, so my only guess is that it's just not getting a good seal. I'm curious to see if there's a way to improve the seal without going too far out of my way.

It's not fatal to have a leaky seal in primary. CO2 should be pushing out and keeping the bad things out. For now I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd check into a new seal or a new lid before your next batch. If you are going to keep this in primary for a few weeks a few wraps of cling wrap around the bucket lid should keep things sealed up well enough.

Also, check this video out - hopefully it puts your mind at ease:

http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2010/5/17/brewing-tv-episode-4-open-fermentation.html

Get new lid, as a wear item the seals go bad. If the $2 or less for a bucket lid is out of your way figure up the cost of a lost batch and compare.

For the batch now I'd just duct tape the lid.

I always use some of that 4" plastic wrap they use at the home store to wrap your bunch of pipes or mouldings together and wrap about 3 or 4 layers around the top of the bucket to give it a better seal (over use of the word wrap I guess)

Having just weather-sealed my kitchen window, that Frost King window wrap that you tape on and shrink with a hair dryer would probably be awesome too, if you have any laying around. But it would probably be over-kill too.

I was considering the idea of using a Saran-wrap to go around the edge.

It's not that getting a new lid would kill me at this point. It's more that I don't really have much in the way of time to go to the hardware store, get a lid, drill a hole in it, and then attach a grommet. Before long I want to be using a clear carboy anyway, so it would seem silly to drop any amount of cash on something I won't be using unless I plan on doing a secondary (if there are late additives, as mentioned above).

I'm still a touch new to this, so anytime things don't go by the book I get a little nervous. From what I've seen over my time, it looks like for every hang up there's a workable solution. It more often just finding what that solution is.

Thanks for the help! I'll be Saran-wrapping my bucket tomorrow and well see if that streets up the activity I've been missing.

I would not worry about it. It will be fine. The bad things that most worry about are not some super ninja evil beings that will crawl into your beer.

Just sit back. Let the beer ferment and it will be fine.

You guys worry too much about little things that mean nothing. The airlock bubbling means absolutely nothing except that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. If the pressure escapes from a leaky lid, so what.

Guess what? The beer will still ferment.

So I used Saran-wrap and duct tape to secure the lid. I am absolutely sure things are going according to plan, even though there hasn't been anything out of the bubbler. It may be as I originally thought that the yeast is being gentle or that it fermented quickly. I'll take a gravity reading next week to see what the story is. I'll probably be bottling during the week after Christmas. Using a clear carboy for my next batch.

To what beergolf said, you're fine. You have to open the thing up to take gravity readings - that all in itself is probably more "risky" than having a slightly leaky seal.

Monks and others have been brewing beer for millenia, even without knowledge of the germ theory of disease. Beer is surprisingly bomb-proof. You just want to take sensible precautions to ensure a good batch.

If you start getting uptight about something, a little worried; the pulse and blood pressure start to rise about something regarding your ferment - STOP!, have a beer (or 2, or 3, or..) and then re-examine the situation. Odds are that you'll completely forget what the issue was.

Yeah, I'm not worried...now.

In all seriousness, though, I used Danstar Notty, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if the fermentation went all nutty in the first three days and I missed the whole show. I'll just wait patiently until I take my reading. This is gonna be murder on my ADHD. I suppose a bottle or two of the Trader Joe's Vintage Ale will help with that.

Most of the ferment will be over by now, but the yeast does quite a bit of cleanup after the primary ferment that is less obvious but is no less important. Time is your friend in brewing.

Go brew something else, come back to this batch in another week or two, or three.

I just bottled an English IPA after 4 weeks in the primary, clear as crystal and oh so good.

To what beergolf said, you're fine. You have to open the thing up to take gravity readings - that all in itself is probably more "risky" than having a slightly leaky seal.
QUOTE]

+1

I haven't used a fermenter with an airtight seal in years(snug yes-airtight no) and have never had a problem with any ale I've made. They do fine even after sitting there for 4-6 weeks. Even with the main fermentation completed there is usually enough residual CO2 off gassing to protect the beer as long as your fermenter lid is not airtight but somewhat snug.

OMO

bosco

QUOTE]

+1

I haven't used a fermenter with an airtight seal in years(snug yes-airtight no) and have never had a problem with any ale I've made. They do fine even after sitting there for 4-6 weeks. Even with the main fermentation completed there is usually enough residual CO2 off gassing to protect the beer as long as your fermenter lid is not airtight but somewhat snug.

OMO

bosco

+2 to this....hell, most of my brews the lid is just resting on top of the bucket, I don't even bother to snap it down!

It is enjoyable to read all the inventive ways people come up with to seal their fermenters up so they'll bubble through the air-lock exclusively though...

Neither of my buckets will seal completely unless I keep the seals good and lubed with keg lube than I have no issues

Occasionally I will get some krausen seep out of the lid but never an infection. Once high krausen starts to drop I remove the lid, quickly clean with starsan and reinstall and let'r ride

Good luck

Rick

So I took a gravity reading yesterday, and, of course, it is beer. Apart from tasting a little green, everything is great. I noticed that one thing that was a little disconcerting, even though it didn't really matter. The lid wasn't all the way on. I'll have to check it out before I use it again, but it appears all is well. I'll be bottling on Christmas Eve!

I've done that myself. It seems like it is pushed on all the way around, but one side is still not seated. No harm, no foul. I got in the habit of going around the lid twice, pushing down hand-width by hand-width.

Enjoy your beer.

Add me to the list of people who don't snap the lid down on my bucket fermenters. I just rest the lid on top and let the yeast have at it.

Back