How to cure green taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
I'm not even sure I know the "green" taste, although if I had to describe what I taste, "green" seems pretty appropriate.

Long story short, I think I kegged my beer too soon and now it's in the kezzer, carbed, and green as hell. Will this strong flavor fade in the keezer, or will I have to take it out of the cold? I want this done by Christmas... I brewed on November 3rd. What do you think?

Edit: I racked and set to carbonate at about 12 PSI in 38 degrees F about two weeks ago.

Without knowing the type of beer, I would say take it out of the kezzer, especially if it is an ale.

The only way to cure a green taste is patience...

It's green because it's young...so it needs to age, it's pretty straight forward...you even admitted you kegged it too young....so leave it alone.

Treat it like a bottle beer and walk away from it for a few weeks.

Just walk away. Leave the vessel, the beer, the gas lines and the whole brewery and I will spare your life. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

I have found that the only way to cure green beer is to let it ripen with age. This, as with most other things, is accelerated with an increase in tempurature.

I made a batch of Bee Cave IPA a while back that is H-A-R-S-H. Probably too much water salts and a little error on the high side with my hop substitution. I decided to pull it from the keezer and walk away from it for a few months. On the other hand my winter brown ale is 8.1% ABV and obviously that will benefit from age, but I decided to keep it in the keezer and on tap, and just try not to drink it much. I know something this strong will be way better with age but it's already good and I'll get to taste the progression. The alcohol is imperceptible, otherwise I might choose to age it at room temp. That's just my experience with keg aging, maybe it helps.

Just walk away. Leave the vessel, the beer, the gas lines and the whole brewery and I will spare your life. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

Heheh, I love that movie! If they had just brewed Lord Humongous some beer, they probably could have gotten away without a fight. :rockin:

Remove it from the keezer and let it warm up. The green flavor would fade in the keezer, but will do so faster warmer.

I understand I'm just being an impatient n00b, but what I really wanted clarification on was to pull it out of the keezer or not. It sounds like I should, so I will. Thanks.

Back