How to create 67 to 70 degrees farenheit environment for fermentation vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtg4772

Reaction score
I wish there was a blanket to wrap the fermenting vessel to cool it from 80 degrees to 67 or 70 degrees.

My closet in the summer time is at 80. I've been brainstorming on how to drop the temp. I've read about a tub of water and wrap it with a towel. The towel will wick water and drop the temp. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I'm also considering a small fridge with one of those temp control devices. Any opinion on this?

And any suggestions, advice, guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

It's more challenging to ferment in the summer, that's for sure! Ideal ale temperatures (fermentation temps, not ambient) tend to be 62-68 degrees or so. That can be hard to do in warmer climates. I live in a cool climate, and it can still be hard! A small fridge with a temperature control would be ideal, but I have more of a ghetto set up:

4189-DSCF0002.JPG

By using a water bath and dropping in a frozen water bottle or two, I can maintain temperatures pretty well in this set up. I float a floating thermometer in the water bath to check the temperature, and change the frozen water bottles as needed. This works great for me, in my cool climate. People in warmer climates probably have to use more extreme measures, like fridges.

I use a 20 gallon tote bin from HD. Run about $6. Fill it with water and use frozen water bottles etc to regulate temp. Works perfect and does a great job regulating temps

I use a 20 gallon tote bin from HD. Run about $6. Fill it with water and use frozen water bottles etc to regulate temp. Works perfect and does a great job regulating temps

This may be the simplest and cheapest option, given that I already have one of those tubs you're talking about.

Each one of my brothers has a spare fridge. One is mine. Just gotta' get one of those fridges in my possession.

It's more challenging to ferment in the summer, that's for sure! Ideal ale temperatures (fermentation temps, not ambient) tend to be 62-68 degrees or so. That can be hard to do in warmer climates. I live in a cool climate, and it can still be hard! A small fridge with a temperature control would be ideal, but I have more of a ghetto set up:

Ha, i like that! I'm slightly more ghetto. 14 gallon rubbermaid bin with about 5 gallons of water in it. T-shirt draped over better bottle to wick up water. Frozen water bottle as necessary.

I have a big foam cooler that a bunch of frozen food was shipped to my house in. Its like a match made in heaven, my "ale pail" fits right into it, I fill it with water and put a thermometer in it and add ice packs or frozen water bottles to it to keep my water temp 10 Degrees lower than the max fermenting temp. Typically keep the water around 55-65 so I shoot for 60, with a fermentation temp around 70 but it fluccuates, its not the worlds best but it works good and my beer turns out great

Latest posts

Back