How to clean a rigidly mounted immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bblack7489

Reaction score
I'm thinking about mounting a heat exchanger coil in my boil kettle. I know that's not very unusual, but I'm wondering about how people clean them.

I typically have to do a little scrubbing at the end of the brew day to get my boil kettle clean. Will I have to scrub the entire IC? Will I be removing it and remounting it every time? Or if I just fill the kettle up with hot water and Oxyclean, will that take care of it for me without scrubbing?

I'm interested to hear what I'm potentially getting myself into.

I had planned on using either compression or flare fittings to attach my coil to the bulkhead so that I wouldn't have to screw anything in. I know that flare is more reusable than compression, but I don't really want to deal with making flare connections.

I'm not as worried about the nasties due to the boiling (as you mention), but more concerned about the hot break, hops and other various sludge that tends to build up by the end of my boil.

Back