How thick should your decoction be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read pages and pages on decoction, and there seems to be a massive lack of consensus on how thick the portion you decoct is, and to top it all off there is no explaination as to how to decide, either!

I ended up going a 3 stage decoction with a thickness that accurately represented my mash (I stirred the **** out of it and scooped it up).

Also see his youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=BrauKaiser+decoction

At the start of part 2 he pulls the decoction and you can see his process and consistency.

I just did my first decoction last night. The consistency was almost like a huge pot of oatmeal, but just a little on the runny side because I wanted to leave enough water to avoid scorching. I'll be interested in reading the responses here.

I know what you mean about the mash thickness and volume thing. Everyone's idea on what is considered a thick mash varies. I dough in with 1qt/lb and go from there. Most of the time I dough in with cold water and let the mash absorb the water, before going to the acid/beta-glucanase rest. After the mash pH is in range, I pull the 1st decoction. With a 30 pound grain bill, I have to remove 4 G of heavy mash for the 1st decoction. Depending on what is taking place in the decoction kettle, at times, I have had to thin down the decoction, with either mash liquid or brewing water. It isn't unusual to end up with 2qt/lb at the end of a tri-decoction. A high viscosity mash or a mash that jells up should be thinned down a little, anyway. Having a fired mashtun makes decoction brewing a little easier, when it comes to maintaining mash temps and controlling infusion volumes.

Back