How quick can I bottle a wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Lover

Reaction score
Doing an american wheat now 1/2 regular and 1/2 w/blckberry xtract and wanted to ask everybody how soon I can bottle. If I take readings on day 7 and 8 and no change is it time? What do you guys think? Thanks, Ben

Give it at least 2 weeks (assuming fermentation is complete), then you can go to bottle. The yeast need time to clean up after themselves in the primary.

Thanks Brad, how long do when of those usually keep after bottling? What would you say if the, "Uh, I don't know if I'd drink that date" is on those anyway. I know there's been some dicussion on that. I sure would hate to keep it too long! You got the right idea fishing and brewing beer. My boat will be out of the shop soon and those Chesapeak Bay Red Drum will coming to visit soon as well! Just wish our Virginia water was as clean as those Canadian rivers. Thanks for the relpy.
Ben

I've got some beers that are over a year old. The answer is mostly 'it depends'. Larger ABV beers will last longer generally than a session beer. Chances are it won't be an issue, it probably won't survive long in the wild. :D

I'm not sure of any exact answers but I think I've heard as a rule of thumb that for unrefridgerated beer, 6 months to a year is reasonable.

I'm dying for spring thaw, I gotta get back after some steelhead and of course I'm always waiting for the next trout season to begin. :D

Wheats are in the 'drink them young' category, but they should be good for 6 months.

Back