How often do you...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
...end up pitching your stir bar?

So far I am batting 1.000. Pitched my first starter into my first Oktoberfest and......plink! :drunk:

So far, 1/3 of the the time. The first time, I knew I was just going to pitch it in since I had another one available. The next two times, I was careful not to let it slide down the flask too far.

It seems easier to keep the stir bar in the flask now that I mix ~500 ml. of wort with the yeast slurry before pitching.

-Steve

1/1. And I have no excuse as I use a keeper magnet. I ended up needing the stir bar the next week so I took the carboy out and used the magnet to fetch it.

I use an old fridge magnet to clip the stirbar to the bottom of the flask and Ive never had a problem.

I use an old fridge magnet to clip the stirbar to the bottom of the flask and Ive never had a problem.

I will definately be using this technique in future. Honestly though, on my brew night when I pitched at around midnight I was already through my first mixed sixer of craft brew and onto my second. Not sure I would have remembered the magnet even if i had it handy. What operating brain cells I had at that time were dedicated to fighting the wort colling process. My next purchase is definately going to be a wort chiller.

Back