How much water with corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireandice814

Reaction score
I am going to start bottling today. I know how much corn sugar I need (4oz in 5 gallon batch). I'm wondering how much water should I use to dissolve the corn sugar in?

Also kinda worried about moving my primary as it's going to shake like crazy and the trub and krausen stuck to the sides might mix in again ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416065441.767607.jpg it's in my basement and I need to transport it upstairs lol with just hands.

I use two cups of water to dissolve the sugar into. I'll bring the water to a boil, then turn the heat down to maintain the boil for a few minutes. This will sterilize the kettle. Take it of the heat to add and dissolve the sugar. Return it to low heat and stir a bit more to make sure the sugar is fully dissolved. Cool in an ice bath to the same temp as the beer before adding to the bottling bucket.

Is the picture as the beer is right now. I usually wait to bottle until the krausen has fully settled into the trub layer. Typical primary time for my beers is three weeks.

Ok thanks for the reply. I'm going to do it like that.

Yes that's the current picture but that Krausen is stuck to the top of the fermenter I don't think it's going to fall back down. I had it in my primary for two weeks and it's pretty much at my FG.

I bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the sugar and continue to boil the solution for 10 minutes. One it's done, I put it in the fridge while I sanitize my bottles. By the time all that's done, the solution is cool enough to pour into the bottling bucket and then rack the beer into the bucket for bottling.

Ok thanks for the reply. I'm going to do it like that.

Yes that's the current picture but that Krausen is stuck to the top of the fermenter I don't think it's going to fall back down. I had it in my primary for two weeks and it's pretty much at my FG.

To my eye it looked like there was still floating krausen. Like a dry Irish stout brewed a few weeks ago. Stuck debris to dense to see through. It did not dislodge when taking the carboy out of the swamp cooler tray or when tilting in preparation for racking to the bottling bucket.

I would move it upstairs now and then give it another week to settle after the move. The krausen may also drop more after the move.

Back