How much sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

Well, my first batch of Bitter Ale went relatively well. I started sampling after it was bottled for 3 weeks (come on, we all give in to temptation) and it is definitely improving with each passing week.

I will be bottling a Stout in another 3 weeks and was uncertain as to whether there is a difference in the amount of sugar (Im actualy using Dextrose) to use in the bottling process with Stout vs other other brews

Thanks!
J

The general rule is 3/4 cup, regardless of the brew. However, some awareness of the ammount of sugar still in the beer at the end of the brew, plus what level of carbonation a particular style of beer requires is not a bad idea. I think that stouts are somewhat less carbonated than some ales or lagers. Here is an online spreadsheet/calculator device that does a good job at suggesting the ammount of priming sugar you should use considering the specific recipe, final gravity, and desired carbonation:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

You will have to enter some basic recipe info before you can get to the priming sugar calculator.

Back