How much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Five gallon recipe...but I've only got four gallons to bottle (I was way too cautious racking to the secondary...guess I left a gallon behind with the trub). Should I use the specified amount of sugar (4.5oz), or a reduced amount?

Use a priming calculator to determine the proper amount to use based on your volume of beer, the desired carbonation level (vols of CO2) and the temperature of the beer. 4.5oz in 5 gal is different than 4.5oz in 4 gal, and could mean overcarbonation or exploding bottles.

If the recipe (it's a kit) included corn sugar for five gallons, can I just reduce it by 20%?

If the recipe (it's a kit) included corn sugar for five gallons, can I just reduce it by 20%?
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Use the priming sugar calculator posted above. Enter your numbers and it will give you the amount of sugar to use. 2-2.1 is a good volume to start with. After a batch or two, you can start adjusting to style and preference.
Guess meatcleaver already posted priming calc.

I know that it may mean added expense, but I've just been using the individual bottle drops. Only had a gusher or two because I bottled that particular beer too early (wasn't done fermenting) but other brews have come out perfectly. Avoids the hassle of measuring priming sugar.

I know that it may mean added expense, but I've just been using the individual bottle drops. Only had a gusher or two because I bottled that particular beer too early (wasn't done fermenting) but other brews have come out perfectly. Avoids the hassle of measuring priming sugar.

Those are convenient, but you have no control of how carbed your beer ends up. Different styles are better suited to different levels of carbonation.

Back