How much priming sugar to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I have recently been brewing a 6 gallon batch so that when it comes time for bottling I actually have a "ture" 5 gallon batch to bottle. I understand that 3/4 cup is the standard amount for a 5 gallon batch or "one package" of I.D. Carlson priming sugar. However, I have a few questions:

1) What is the equation for how much priming sugar per one gallon of beer?

2) Can you buy dextrose aka corn sugar in a supermarket? Where can you get it other than the LHBS?

3) Some have said 1oz. corn sugar per one gallon of beer? Does this sound right?

I will be bottling a partial mash wheat with 4oz. of blueberry extract added to it.

These amounts are all takeen from Papazian's The Home Brewer's Companion:

• Dextrose 3/4 cup
  • honey 1 cup
  • maple syrup 1 1/4 cup
  • molasses 1 cup
  • brown sugar 2/3 cup
  • cane sugar 2/3 cup
  • Beet Sugar 2/3 cup
  • DME 1 1/4 cup
They are all for a 5 gallon batch.

Now, for your other questions:

1) What is the equation for how much priming sugar per one gallon of beer?
Well, I guess you could divide the above amounts by 5. That would give you approximately how much per 1 gallon of beer.

2) Can you buy dextrose aka corn sugar in a supermarket? Where can you get it other than the LHBS?
I have not found it in several different stores, including health food stores. Maybe you'll have better luck in your area.

3) Some have said 1oz. corn sugar per one gallon of beer? Does this sound right?
Well, the priming sugar packs for a 5 gallon batch are 4.5 Oz. So, that is kind of close to that ratio.

As far as the blueberry extract, be sure there are no fementable sugars in it. You don't want to have any exploding bottles.

:ban:

My LHBS only carries dextrose in "priming sugar" sized packs (like 3/4 cup).
I used to buy it in 3 or 5 pound bags labeled brewer's sugar.

Anybody know of an online store that carries the larger bags?

So what does 1 cup equal? I am getting ready to use Blackstrap Molasses as my primer and it will be a 5 gallon batch. Does 1 cup equal the normal 8 ounces?

Dork42775 said:
So what does 1 cup equal? I am getting ready to use Blackstrap Molasses as my primer and it will be a 5 gallon batch. Does 1 cup equal the normal 8 ounces?

david_42 said:
A cup of molasses will give a very strong flavor to your brew. I used 12 ounces of dark in an alt and molasses was the dominate flavor for months. It's ok in a porter, brown or alt, but a bad idea in most styles.

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52101

Back