How much priming sugar should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markiemark

Reaction score
Planning on bottling my honey cream ale tomorrow, is there a formula for how much sugar to use? My last batch of brown ale (both extract kits btw) was WAAAAY overcarbonated. I think I used too much sugar. I don't want to do that again. Im not sure how much beer i'll have with the trub and all but probably at least 4.5 gallons, but definitely less than 5 gallons.

Also, tips on how to add priming sugar to batch?

Thanks

Use an online priming sugar calculator. Make sure to be accurate in your volume. Boil the sugar in a little water, just enough to get it to dissolve, think under a cup. I let it cool down some and then pour it into the bottom of the bottling bucket and then rack the beer onto it to get it to mix well into solution.

3/4 cup / 5 gallons is the standard. i used about 10% more for my last batch and it was fine.

same question. last time i used muntons tabs this time gonna use the sugar. i have 5 oz which is slightly less than 3/4 a cup. is that enough?

3/4 cup / 5 gallons is the standard. i used about 10% more for my last batch and it was fine.

That is 3/4 cup of corn sugar. If using table sugar you should use 2/3 cup.

Back