How much Oxi Clean per 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyLXT

Reaction score
I have been using Oxi Clean to clean out bottles, carboys, and buckets. I seem to be tearing through it rather quickly.

How much do you use per 5 gallons to clean a fermentor?

I use one 4 oz. scoop with 6 gallons of water to clean my 6 gallon Better Bottles. This gives me a 0.5 % by weight concentration recommended by the Better Bottle Co. I try to use approx. the same concentration for all my other cleaning, except for removing labels from bottles where I generally use a higher concentration.

Honestly I just eyeball it but the 4oz DeafSmith says is probably a good starting point. As for PBW, it's more expensive and IMHO doesn't work any better. Just my $0.02 worth.

I use about half a scoop in a 5 gallon bucket when I'm removing bottle labels. I use even less for normal cleaning because higher concentrations are harder to rinse. A little seems to go a long way.

I use about 1-2oz to clean my BB. The combination of that and a bottle brush works fine. Rinse well with hot water and sanitize before next use. Any more than that seems like a waste to me FWIW.

Latest posts

Back