How much Lemon in Secondary for Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a hefeweizen sitting in my secondary fermenter, and wanted to try adding lemon to it.

I've read on other posts that with fruit you should use 2 - 4 lbs of fruit for a 5 gallon batch - but lemon is a pretty potent fruit, would 2 - 4 pounds be too much?

Has anybody here experimented with it and have any suggestions?

Second question, I was planning on washing the outside of the rind, and then cutting them up and dropping them in the carboy - is this the most efficient way (not a big chance of contamination?)

Thanks,
-Mark

You could just try adding lemon peel shavings which would still give you great lemon flavors being that the batch is already fermented. But I think you will be fine with maybe 2 lemons added? Let us know what you choose and how it goes. good luck

If it were me merely experimenting on my own, I wouldn't put much more than a few individual lemons, maybe 3. The one thing I have heard is that even though lemons have a very large amount of sugar, lemon juice does not ferment well. If you did decide on adding lemon, I would also add a decent amount of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer to make sure you don't end up with unfermented sugars.

Interesting, I didn't expect it to affect the fermentation since it's been in there for about a month now, but I guess that makes sense. I'm still relatively inexperienced.

Maybe I'll try adding 1 lemon and some lemon zest?

I tried a glass of it after moving it to the second fermentor, and didn't think that it tasted quite the way I was hoping so I was planning to alter the taste with an adjunct.

Thanks guys

I've only used zest and I did it in the last 5 minutes of my boil. Gave a good lemon hint!

OK, you all made some good points I'll scrap adding raw lemon and stick to just the zest.

Any suggestions on how much zest to add?

OK, you all made some good points I'll scrap adding raw lemon and stick to just the zest.

Any suggestions on how much zest to add?

I would suggest "none" and just serve it with a slice of lemon or orange if it needs help. I've never tasted a beer that had citrus zest or flavor added to it that came out good.

Back