How much DME to prime Hefe-Weizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hucko

Reaction score
So I've bottled my first serious attempt at brewing - a Weissbier. The day I bottled it I went to the local brew shop to buy 8 oz. of corn sugar to prime my 4-1/2 gallons of fermented brew. The guy there recommended 60% wheat / 40% barley Briess DME (which I also used in addition to 6 lbs wheat extract in the wort) instead as in his opinion corn sugar adds an off flavor to wheat beer.

So I bought a pound of that instead but forgot to ask his recommendation as to how much to use. The store was closed and I wanted to bottle so I went with 3/4 cup of the DME. Should I expect any surprises?

Thanks,

Hucko

So maybe it's a 'blessing in disguise' that I didn't use quite as much as would normally be used for a weissbier, since I used your run-of-the-mill 22 oz. home brew bottles? We'll see how it turns out.

One thing - today, one day after bottling, I was showing the one large clear one-quart bottle I used to a friend, and the least bit of movement produced big bubbles at the top of the beer already. Is that normal? Will I get shrapnelled?

Thanks, Again...

Hucko

sonetumliere85 --

I tried the tool you provided a link to and it recommended 11.5 oz. DME. How can I figure out how much my 3/4 cup of 60% wheat /40% barley DME weighed? That would be the one most useful piece of info. What's the dry density (not packed) of a typical DME? If I can get that I have a pretty good idea how much carbonation to expect.

Hucko

I use a little kitchen scale for priming sugars/DME weight. I think it'd be hard to translate that to cups, since sometimes it's packed down or the sugar is finer.

sonetlumiere85 said:
This thingy is useful for figuring that out.
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

For example, assuming you were going for the bare minimum of typical carbonation in a weisse, and that your bottling temp was 70 degrees F, you'd need 11.5 oz DME.

Got Trub? said:
I use this: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

You need to use more DME then corn sugar. I don't know if 3/4 cup will be as much as you need. Be aware that weisbeer is usually highly carbonated at 3.5-4.5 volumes. I'd be careful about doing more then about 3 volumes in generic beer bottles to avoid bottle bombs.

GT

Thanks for the post! I wanted something like this since I occasionally like to use DME .

Another hefe carbonation question... I'm getting ready to bottle mine soon and only have the 5 oz priming sugar that comes with the kits. I've read that hefe's should be more carbonated than that though, so would anyone recommend adding some DME in addition to the 5 oz priming sugar, and if so, how much?

Latest posts

Back