how much dme is too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
With a 3 gallon boil. Would probably mean 1 1/2 to 2 gallons or so of water to start plus DME volume. There must be an amount that is too much and requires a split boil or bigger pot, but I couldn't find it by searching.

If you think you are going to have to thick of a wort during the boil, I would just do the remaining DME )or even LME) as a late addition.

I have never had a problem of too much DME though. What is it you're trying to make, and how much are you looking to use?

Suppose I wanted to do an Imperial Stout. Say 10 lbs of DME in a 2 1/2 gallon boil. Just wondered if it was possible.

What I'd probably do is specialty grains and 3-4 pounds in a smaller pot - say 1 1/2 gallon. Boil 20-30 minutes and chill while the main pot does the rest of the DME and hops. Then combine.

Still, just wondered if it could all be done in the one pot.

I made an imperial stout with a partial boil last year. Other than way under-attenuating (pitched 1 vial of yeast with no starter into something like a 1.080 beer...what can I say it was like my 3rd brew :)) it came out very nice. I was using liquid extract but other than that it was pretty similar to what you said. 9 lbs extract, about 2 lbs specialty grains in a 2.5 gallon boil. I see no reason to split it up, just maybe add the bulk of the extract in the last few minutes of the boil so you don't get horrible hop utilization.

Back