How much degassing is necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burg5657

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm on my first wine kit (pinot gris) and we've been degassing for over an hour. We're using the drill method in a carboy. I'm still getting puffs of air when I do the shake test. How much do you have to degas this thing? Does there need to be NO puff of air at ALL? Any suggestions? PS, the carboy is at 75 degrees.

Thanks,
Steph

Step away from the carboy. Seriously.
Leave it be for tonight and check it tomorrow. Normal degassing is only a few minutes at a time with 30-45 min wait, minimum, before you go for round two. It honestly can take kits a few days to degas. It will help if you dose with k-meta as you degas since the KMS provides a host of nucleation points...the SO2 essentially convinces the CO2 to swap places and the CO2 becomes unbound and exits the carboy....in theory.

Good tips on finishing your wine here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp

The pffft test can be misleading if you leave too much headspace in your shaker.

Congrats on your first kit & welcome to HBT!

Back