How much co2 to force carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootstrapBill

Reaction score
I am currently force carbonating my kolsch which is being carbonated at 13 psi at around 42-45 degrees. How much psi should I expect to lose over the next couple of weeks. And is it necessary to put sealing tape around your male attachment on your co2 tank if you have a plastic washer in the female side of the regulator?

Hi

Assuming you have a regulator that is working correctly - you should loose no PSI at all. You will wind up at 13 PSI just like it is now. The PSI in your tank (likely up around 800 or so) will only drop off right as the tank empties. It's got liquid CO2 in it. The stuff boils to keep the pressure up. The pressure only drops when you run out of liquid.

Yes a washer between the CO2 tank and the regulator is a good idea. The same goes for a washer between the regulator and a flare fitting on the regulator (if you are using flares). At the keg coupler (if it's a commercial keg) you would have another washer. With a Corny keg - no washer at the keg post / yes washer if the bidding goes on with a flare fitting.

Tape / goo / what ever is a good idea on any pipe thread to pipe thread fitting. If there is a washer or gasket involved then no tape or goo is needed. The washer serves the same purpose as the tape or goo.

Bob

Thanks, I was just wondering how much of your tank it will use up during the process. I was sitting at around 800 with a full tank and it is at around 700 now after 4 days.

BootstrapBill said:
Thanks, I was just wondering how much of your tank it will use up during the process. I was sitting at around 800 with a full tank and it is at around 700 now after 4 days.

Those numbers really don't mean anything, if you hear liquid in your tank, then you still have co2 left.
On average, you can force carb and serve 1 keg per pound I co2. That's conservative, most can do 7 kegs on a 5 lb tank.

the question I have the time spand. I am having problem on droping the cooler below 40. so I have use 10,15 20 even 30 pounds. and after 7 days still I can not get above 1.8 on CO2 content. what I am doing wrong

the question I have the time spand. I am having problem on droping the cooler below 40. so I have use 10,15 20 even 30 pounds. and after 7 days still I can not get above 1.8 on CO2 content. what I am doing wrong

How are you determining "CO2 content"?

For a typical brew holding at 40°F, 12-13 psi should provide just about perfect carbonation, given sufficient time (like ~2 weeks)...

Cheers!

I have the co2 tank inside the cooler

$(KGrHqZHJCYE9!HrGPN+BPZObBlcr!~~60_14.JPG

You shouldn't keep the co2 tank in the cooler. Cold temperatures chances the gas rate dropping your psi.

Wow, I see some ignorant and ill advice on this blog, like not to keep the CO2 tank in the cooler and others. Plain and simple, 30 PSI for 24 hrs, 20 FOR another 24 hrs (adjust if necessary), then bring it down to 5-12, keep it there and serve. Cheers !

Wow, I see some ignorant and ill advice on this blog, like not to keep the CO2 tank in the cooler and others. Plain and simple, 30 PSI for 24 hrs, 20 FOR another 24 hrs (adjust if necessary), then bring it down to 5-12, keep it there and serve. Cheers !

Mistaken advice usually gets corrected in a timely manner on HBT as it did in this thread (it is not a blog BTW). Usually without words such as "wow" or "ignorant".

Yeah, that's totally a rookie mistake.
And you hate to see that...

Cheers!

[edit] not to mention providing a sketchy "solution". "Bring it down to 5-12"? What's that all about?

Back