how much brown sugar etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do a recipe that has brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks in it. How much Brown Sugar and how many cinnamon sticks would you use in a 5 gallon batch? Also when would you put them in the process (mash, boil?)?

Firstly, what are you making? Beer, cider, mead?

Secondly, why. Not asking to be a butt-head, literally asking what you are looking to get from each from the recipe?

Cinnamon: a little goes a long way. Some add to the boil, some in primary, others in secondary. Some use whole scrolls, others make a tincture and add it to primary, secondary or at packaging.

Brown sugar: I suggest against it. I hate giving anecdotal advice, but I have heard that brown sugar can add off flavors. The sugar ferments dry leaving the unfermentables. I've heard raw turbinado, palm or coconut leave more residual flavors.

my starting point for this recipe: Oatmeal cookie brown,
8 lb. Maris Otter,...1.5 lb. Flaked Oats.....8 oz. Cara-pils…..8 oz. Caramel/crystal 60L....4 oz. Chocolate malt (350L steep)..3 oz. Carafa III (525 L steep) …1.2 cinnamon stick (boil)...1.2 vanilla bean (boil)….4.2 oz. Brown sugar (boil...may change this after advice from S-Met)…..
.5 oz Warrior (60)….5 oz. Fuggle (15)….5 oz. Hallertau (10)

You might try subbing the brown sugar with #3 invert sugar. It has a mild, oatmeal cookie/raisin like sweetness to it and won't make your beer finish dry.

Fyi I used 1# brown sugar late in the boil for a pumpkin ale and that thing was dryer then an Afghans thong.

I use 8oz of brown sugar in my pumpkin beer. I don’t notice off flavors but there is a lot going on.

I would boil the vanilla, I think you’re going to kill most, if not all, of the flavor. Add at packaging, that’s my recommendation.

Latest posts

Back